is a 1988 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Lobo

is a 1988 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by Lobo »

awhile ago i got my 2005 wk reckt at an accident, now im thinking I want an older jeep since they seem more.... like a jeep more then the newer models. im looking to buy a 1988 SJ Wagoneer but I would prefer a newer powerful and efficient engine like the 5.7 hemi any can help with what am parts am I gonna need? p.s. I dont really care about price Im willing to save up for a year or two

tgreese

Re: is a 1998 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by tgreese »

I expect it's been done, but I'd think you'd be better off with a modern small block Chevy/transmission/transfer case swap than a Chrysler engine. The SBC swap has been done a lot, with excellent results. IMO you'd pay a big premium for the hemi engine and its parts, and not really gain anything in terms of performance, reliability or economy. Just because it's in the Jeep-Chrysler family doesn't buy you much, I expect. The only Chrysler heritage in a Wagoneer is the inefficient and old Chryco 727 - and its bell pattern is AMC, not Chrysler. Not much incentive to go wwith a Chryco engine, IMO.

Welcome to the forum!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Lobo the Hemi has been done. I wouldn't do the Chevy swap if I had a Chrysler engine. I'll see if I can find the guys build.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Regardless of which engine update route you go there is a universal truth involved. It will take longer, cost more and require more effort than you think.
You can go the 'Easier Route' and do what many others have--by going with a cookie-cutter GM or dare to be different and choose something few attempt...such as the Hemi.
I believe we FSJ types are a bit OFF in the head to begin with so it's kind of natural to buck the status quo when it comes to altering our jeeps--so I say you should go with whatever floats your boat powertrain-wise.
A good friend put a 392 Hemi in his CJ-2A and although it took awhile and cost him some serious $$$, he ended up with one very unique wheeling jeep...and it suits him perfectly. In his mind, it was worth it and that is really what matters.

As far as parts are concerned, I think you would be better off finding a rollover or rear ended donor with the engine/trans combination you're after so you have all the components to make the swap. Having a complete donor vehicle won't be enough as you will need to fabricate some things and chase solutions until your brain feels like it's going to explode and your wallet is dialing 911.

Good Luck!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Regardless of which engine update route you go there is a universal truth involved. It will take longer, cost more and require more effort than you think.
You can go the 'Easier Route' and do what many others have--by going with a cookie-cutter GM or dare to be different and choose something few attempt...such as the Hemi.
I believe we FSJ types are a bit OFF in the head to begin with so it's kind of natural to buck the status quo when it comes to altering our jeeps--so I say you should go with whatever floats your boat powertrain-wise.
A good friend put a 392 Hemi in his CJ-2A and although it took awhile and cost him some serious $$$, he ended up with one very unique wheeling jeep...and it suits him perfectly. In his mind, it was worth it and that is really what matters.

As far as parts are concerned, I think you would be better off finding a rollover or rear ended donor with the engine/trans combination you're after so you have all the components to make the swap. Having a complete donor vehicle won't be enough as you will need to fabricate some things and chase solutions until your brain feels like it's going to explode and your wallet is dialing 911.

Good Luck!

X2 to this, this way you could also get all the electrical stuff you need as an upgrade also.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I think striving for uniqueness is great ... but sometimes the popular solution is popular for a reason. IMO just getting it done will be an achievement, so there's no shame in doing a "cookie cutter" conversion. Lots of time, effort and money involved, regardless.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

wewillsurvive

is a 1998 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by wewillsurvive »

The good thing is he isn't building it for you so he can make a choice based on what he wants. I think the biggest thing you're overlooking is he already has the Hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

is a 1998 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by Stuka »

I see zero reason to go with a GM engine over a 5.7L hemi. Mopar offers kits to install them in other vehicles. And if you have the whole drivetrain, then all you need is something to mimic the wheel speed sensors.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

vajeepj20

Post by vajeepj20 »

Anything is possible, it pretty much boils down to how much money you have to spend and how mechanically inclined you are. The more you can do yourself the less it will cost you.

A Hemi would be cool, but it's probably going to be more expensive and you'll probably have to make your own motor and transmission mounts. Like others have said, it would be ideal to find a complete engine (with all computer controls), transmission, and transfer case drop out from a wrecked Ram 4x4 pickup. Then the main issue would be getting it all to fit in place. You'll have install a high pressure fuel line and electric fuel pump for the fuel injection. You could possibly use the radiator from the Ram if the Wagoneer one couldn't be made to work (I'm not familiar with the 5.7 Hemi and it's hose sizes and layout). If you have power steering, and you probably do, you'll have to adapt the metric power steering hoses from the Hemi engine to the english threaded Wagoneer power steering gear box (actually your 1988 might have a metric hose gear box, I don't know). I think you can find adapters for that if you need them. You'll need to modify your exhaust system to match up to the Hemi, as well as weld in oxygen sensor bungs. A complete new exhaust would be the way to go. You'll have to either convert your existing transmission shifter to the Hemi trans, or buy an aftermarket shifter. If the Hemi trans is a manual, you should be okay using the shifter with it. Aside from that you'll probably have to get your drive shafts modified or buy new custom ones.

A great place to look for the engine, transmission, transfer case set up is Ebay. A lot of car recyclers (junk yards) sell on there and some good deals can be found. For some reason though, engine and transmission packages are common but I've never seen the transfer case as part of the deal, they're usually available separately. Here are a couple of links to give you some idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Charger-5-7L ... 0e&vxp=mtr

I don't have a clue as to what transmission the Charger came with so finding an adapter to mate it to a transfer case might be a major undertaking.

Seek and you shall find, I just said the transfer case isn't usually included, and boom, here's one that is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ram-1500-5-7-he ... 34&vxp=mtr

Instead of individual links here's the complete Ebay search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... e&_sacat=0

Personally, being the owner of a J20 and the fact that Chrysler dropped the J series as soon as they took over the Jeep brand, I don't feel that much of a loyalty to them. Everything is readily available to swap a new GM LS engine into a FSJ fairly easily and there are tons of aftermarket parts available for them. I prefer the LS engine myself, but to each their own, and a Hemi would be cool. Good luck if you decide to do it.

vajeepj20

Post by vajeepj20 »

How's this one for a deal? 2014 5.7 Hemi (Variable Valve Timing, switching back and forth from 8 cylinders to 6 cylinders, to 4 cylinders for mileage), 8 speed transmission, all the electronics, 1500 MILES!!!!! $4999. Essentially a new engine and transmission for $5K. The transfer case is probably available extra. That is a deal that is hard to beat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-Dodge-Hemi- ... 7f&vxp=mtr

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Make sure its a 4wd version of the transmission, and not a 2wd. If its 2wd, you have to buy the tail housing assembly.

Also, I highly doubt you will get the multi-displacement to work. I only know one guy that has it working in a vehicle that did not come with a hemi.

But that price is great.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bkilby

Post by bkilby »

Reviving an old thread.....did this swap ever happen? I'm thinking of doing the same engine with 66RFE (6speed). I'm spending my Sunday looking around for info but there's not much to be found. I've read the thread on the yellow Chief as mentioned above but that rig was so custom, I don't know that much will apply to me. Lol.
Reviving a '74 Cherokee S from the dead.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

bkilby wrote:Reviving an old thread.....did this swap ever happen? I'm thinking of doing the same engine with 66RFE (6speed). I'm spending my Sunday looking around for info but there's not much to be found. I've read the thread on the yellow Chief as mentioned above but that rig was so custom, I don't know that much will apply to me. Lol.
Start googling Hemi swaps. Yes, there will be Jeep specific things you'll run into, but the things it takes to make a modern Hemi work in an old Dart will be pretty much the same things to make one work in an old Jeep.

Street and Performance does Hemi swap parts. Look at Novak for transmission to transfer case info/parts.

But in the end, it will be research, research, research. I spent weeks just reading all the different LS engine swap stories I could find. Even then, I ran into issues because I had chosen a Gen IV engine and had to do some more research on the fly.

bkilby

Post by bkilby »

Thanks ProTouring. I've done other Hemi swaps so finding the computer and harness is the easy part. I was just curious if anyone ran into clearance issues with the FSJ. Taking some quick measurements, It looks like the Hemi is a couple of inches shorter than the AMC 360. The tranny is the same length as the 400. What I don't know is if the heater box needs to changed out to the Vintage Air unit or not. That and of course, what to do about the tcase. I can get an Atlas at a descent price, or maybe go NV241 DS drop and change the gas tank and front axle...

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

wewillsurvive wrote:Lobo the Hemi has been done. I wouldn't do the Chevy swap if I had a Chrysler engine. I'll see if I can find the guys build.

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

That "guy's" build was funded by Chrysler for a SEMA build. Unlimited funds and parts.

He did not even let the forum members know he was a Chrysler employee for their "skunk works" program to build prototypes. He burned a lot of bridges with his build/posts.

All of his "friends" helping out were paid employees of Chrysler. They're the ones building the JK converted to look like an FC170.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

bkilby wrote:Thanks ProTouring. I've done other Hemi swaps so finding the computer and harness is the easy part. I was just curious if anyone ran into clearance issues with the FSJ. Taking some quick measurements, It looks like the Hemi is a couple of inches shorter than the AMC 360. The tranny is the same length as the 400. What I don't know is if the heater box needs to changed out to the Vintage Air unit or not. That and of course, what to do about the tcase. I can get an Atlas at a descent price, or maybe go NV241 DS drop and change the gas tank and front axle...

Frankly, I'd go with a Vintage Air (or other aftermarket/adapted factory unit) anyway. The stock FSJ HVAC system is really two, completely separate units (basically a heater and an add-on A/C), so the defroster isn't dehumidified. In my case, I converted a GM unit, but the Vintage Air is probably the easiest.

I went with the stock NP229 with mine, but I'll be swapping to an NV242 later this year.

If you've done other Hemi swaps, if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to put one in an FSJ. I went GM LY5/4L60E because I am familiar with the GM units. If I was more familiar with the Hemi, I might have gone with that instead.

bkilby

Post by bkilby »

66stepside wrote: That "guy's" build was funded by Chrysler for a SEMA build. Unlimited funds and parts.

He did not even let the forum members know he was a Chrysler employee for their "skunk works" program to build prototypes. He burned a lot of bridges with his build/posts.

All of his "friends" helping out were paid employees of Chrysler. They're the ones building the JK converted to look like an FC170.
Actually, that guy is a good friend of mine. He and the other guys, some being Chrysler employees, spent their personal time to help build that rig.

bkilby

Post by bkilby »

ProTouring442 wrote: Frankly, I'd go with a Vintage Air (or other aftermarket/adapted factory unit) anyway. The stock FSJ HVAC system is really two, completely separate units (basically a heater and an add-on A/C), so the defroster isn't dehumidified. In my case, I converted a GM unit, but the Vintage Air is probably the easiest.

I went with the stock NP229 with mine, but I'll be swapping to an NV242 later this year.

If you've done other Hemi swaps, if I were you I wouldn't hesitate to put one in an FSJ. I went GM LY5/4L60E because I am familiar with the GM units. If I was more familiar with the Hemi, I might have gone with that instead.
The Vintage Air unit is a good one. We put one in a buddys C10 a couple of years ago when we put a 6.4 Hemi in that GMC. :D
I'll probably end up going that route. It would be nicer overall. Thanks for the input!

Brad

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

bkilby wrote:
Actually, that guy is a good friend of mine. He and the other guys, some being Chrysler employees, spent their personal time to help build that rig.
I understand the heartburn, but I like the guy. He's the one that got the Mighty FC and J12 to come to Ouray, and that was pretty special to me. I'd offer him a beer if he showed up at my camp site again. :)

EDIT>>> He offered me the passenger seat in the J12 too, but I had a rig so I passed for someone who didn't to ride.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

bkilby

Re: is a 1988 Wagoneer with a hemi 5,7 possible?

Post by bkilby »

Heck, I got to drive the JT truck. :mrgreen: