Oil pressure switch?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Oil pressure switch?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

My '88 GW came with an oil pressure switch. This is wired into the ignition circuit and the switch closes when it receives oil pressure correct? I believe the idea is to cut the ignition circuit if there is no oil pressure - a safety thing. Kills the engine if there is no oil pressure. Can also contribute to 'slower' cold start ups on a worn out engine that takes a while to develop pressure.

I don't have this wired up on my FSJ's. I believe they will start 'faster' without the switch because it doesn't have to wait on oil pressure to start firing the plugs and the injectors.

What are everyone's thoughts regarding oil pressure switches? Good idea? Bad idea? Why?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Oil pressure switch?

Post by Stuka »

I was not even aware grand wags had such a thing. Even most newer vehicles don't have them.

I do not think they are a bad thing, but if you keep up on your oil, not a needed thing either. Unless of course you have some major failure where all the oil drains out quickly. Like you hit the oil pan on a rock or something.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

oakknoll

Post by oakknoll »

I have these switches on my small engines (Honda, Kohler, Kawasaki). They often don't work correctly. They either fail and won't allow the engine to start, or they kill the engine when working on a slope. I have disconnected them without causing engine damage. I've never heard of one in an automobile engine, especially a Jeep. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has one.
Peter

1984 J-10
1982 CJ-8
1982 Wagoneer
1991 Comanche
1998 XJ Cherokee
2001 XJ Cherokee
2007 Commander
2012 Wrangler

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I thought the point of them was to be wired into an e-pump circuit in case of rollover, etc.?
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

pyro

Post by pyro »

i was under the impression that an "oil switch" was another name for "sending unit". at the local auto parts place they list the sending unit as a switch. :-?
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

RustyJoe

Post by RustyJoe »

From the factory, at least my 89, has a switch (sending unit) near the oil pressure gauge sending unit. This switch was used to turn on the electric chock after oil pressure is started, not for stopping the engine. This was to keep the electric choke from pulling off too quickly, especially if you sit with the key on for a while before starting the engine. Is this the switch you mean??

Russ
89 Grand Wagoneer (Helouise)
97 Cherokee XJ 2 Door 4x4
00 HD Road King Classic
67 Pontiac Tempest conv.

adzam

Post by adzam »

RustyJoe wrote:From the factory, at least my 89, has a switch (sending unit) near the oil pressure gauge sending unit. This switch was used to turn on the electric chock after oil pressure is started, not for stopping the engine. This was to keep the electric choke from pulling off too quickly, especially if you sit with the key on for a while before starting the engine. Is this the switch you mean??

Russ
Yah it's for the electric heater in the black choke cover. it's not connected to the ignition in any way.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I should take a pic. The factory oil pressure switch is located right where the oil pressure sending unit it. They tee off of each other. Removing it from the waggy allows for much faster cold start ups.

Just wondering what everyone's thought was?

I'm thinking about tying it back into my TBI harness to cut power to the ECM when there's no oil pressure. I can see how this would be handy during an accident.

chevelleguy

Post by chevelleguy »

adzam wrote:
RustyJoe wrote:From the factory, at least my 89, has a switch (sending unit) near the oil pressure gauge sending unit. This switch was used to turn on the electric chock after oil pressure is started, not for stopping the engine. This was to keep the electric choke from pulling off too quickly, especially if you sit with the key on for a while before starting the engine. Is this the switch you mean??

Russ
Yah it's for the electric heater in the black choke cover. it's not connected to the ignition in any way.
David
'83 Wag Limited, 360/727/pinned 229/D44 front/AMC20,lockrite,rear/6" BJ lift w/ 35/12.50/15 M/T Baja MTZ/ Pro-Jection EFI.

'16 Camaro SS
'98 STX1100 Jet ski
'96 ZXi 1100 Jet ski
'90 KDX 200

lindel

Post by lindel »

Welcome Sir! Glad you made it over!
Lindel

letank

Post by letank »

Russ
2X, the only issue is when the switch fails, it tends to deactivate the choke heater circuit and your choke not fully open or close... and the engine will die.... useful when you run out of oil... but bad when you failed to realize what is happening... I ran out of gas again.... Mine is acting up, and is jammed open.... I really need to change it, but with our mild weather it starts most of the time at first crank.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

wedgetail

Post by wedgetail »

oakknoll wrote:I've never heard of one in an automobile engine, especially a Jeep. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has one.
I know for sure old landcruisers have them. Newer ones I'm not so sure, but I'd bet they do as most things stay the same (with 40 and 70 series anyhow). I'm not completely sure about them, but I think on the whole I like the fact they're there. Especially when someone borrows it... They work with a capacity as a timer for starting so will kill the engine if pressure isn't up after 10 seconds or so. Then kill it immediately if pressure drops when running. Problem is when the vehicle is old, cap is worn and oil pressure is lower (like 350k km +) it can mean starting takes two or three attempts to start when it's been sitting a couple of weeks unless you rev the piss out of it.