will this work for transmission temp?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

will this work for transmission temp?

Post by will e »

I am looking for gift ideas. I would like a transmission temp gauge. Will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-6156-E ... auges+6156

What is a good range for the tf727? Where is a good place to put the sensor?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Tatsadasayago

Re: will this work for transmission temp?

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Dad, a TorqueFlite master said during normal use 150-200 is about right but 220 and over meant it was working hard or the cooling system wasn't.

I used to put the mechanical probe into the line pressure test port on the passenger's side of the case. I had to use a brass reducing bushing to make it work and the bushing kept the tip from intruding into the port too far.

1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

Seems a bit high $$$, check ebay or summit... does it come w sender... no

$76 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-6149 ... ef&vxp=mtr
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I paid $50.00 for my AutoMeter Trans temp gauge a few years ago through Summit Racing, it's the standard 2 1/16" model.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

letank

Post by letank »

haminawag wrote:I paid $50.00 for my AutoMeter Trans temp gauge a few years ago through Summit Racing, it's the standard 2 1/16" model.
Still not sure on the best way to attach the sender... Pan or ...

Pict .... Of the sender... Please...

I see Jim's post but there is so much oil, that I am not sure that I can spot the pressure line port...
Michel

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

You can always drop the pan and place the sender on the side. Without a welder, you would need a hole-saw or step bit, drill the hole and insert the sending unit. I did one that way and it worked out okay but I did have to locate a nut for the inside to keep the unit in place.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Interesting thread:
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/tr ... ation.html

I think the trick isn't so much where you put the sender but learning what is 'normal' for whatever location you choose. I am going to try the port as my first attempt. It is more information than I currently get.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

My Mom gave me a Trans Temp gauge for Christmas. I did some reading on 'the internet' and some say the line test port isn't good because it doesn't have 'flowing fluid' going past it.
Others said the pan or input line was best because this showed the temp of the fluid going into the transmission.
Others claimed that the output line to the cooler was the best.
One guy had a gauge on both the output and the input lines.

Tats, what temps do you see at the line pressure port? Will this work with an electric sending unit as well?
Last edited by will e on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Actually, is there any reason why I can't use a selector switch and have more than one temp probe?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I recall the temps at the test port when everything was at operating temperature, were typically 15-20 degrees cooler than the temps I was seeing at the cylinder water jackets will e.
I used the test port rather than the pan because I didn't want a probe in the way and felt it was important to get a reading as close to the clutch drums as possible. Heat transfer though the oil and aluminum I felt, was good enough for my purpose--to detect abnormally high or low trans temps.

I don't see any reason you cannot use a switch as long as it is of radio quality so it doesn't change resistance in the circuit. I would tie the negative wires together and use a double pole, single throw switch for selection and ensure the positive (Sensor) side of the circuit not in use doesn't get grounded.

letank

Post by letank »

Progress report?
Got the magnet version of the sender.... because I cannot even see the pressure port, no body lift! So as not to deal with too many zip ties to avoid the front driveline or the exhaust in the tunnel area....to find out that the only metallic part is the oil pan.
Michel

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:Actually, is there any reason why I can't use a selector switch and have more than one temp probe?
what about a dual temp gauge, such as this

http://www.flashoffroad.com/Accessories ... tslist.htm

Michel

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Well, I got the gauge installed. I used the rear servo port. This guy convinced me:
http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums/tr ... ation.html

I drove it around enough to make sure it works (and didn't leak). The sender fit in the hole with no problems.

I also installed a fuel pressure gauge.

crappy cell phone pic:

letank

Post by letank »

Good,now we want some data, how high do you read in relation to outside temp and speed, and wheeling.

I remember in sand, I did not need the gauge, after 10 min at a good 15-20mph, the heat instantly filled the cab... it was time to let go of the throttle and take a break, before breaking something. This is why I need to install a gauge.
Michel

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Will collect first real drive data today.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Okay, took it on a 20 or so mile drive with temps in the low 90s. I am not running a separate transmission cooler but do have a becool radiator. Engine stayed nice and cool. Trans temp max was 180 to 185.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

First wheeling trip with the gauge. Also my first longer road drive.

On the trail the gauge reported up to 220 degrees. I didn't notice much difference between being in high/low on the transfer case as far as temps go. It would cool down to plus 200 if we were on a bit of a flat part. Our speeds were never much more than 'trail speeds'. The transmission did not act any different than previous wheeling trips so I think it is safe to assume this is 'normal' for my situation. It has also convinced me to get an auxiliary cooler. Either a really big cooler or one with a fan. I have the Rhino grill and an AC condenser so my space is limited.

Of course I had to get to and from the trail. We camped over night so the transmission cooled off. I did a 60 mile non-stop run in 90 degree plus temps. The transmission gauge reported a very steady 180 degrees.

JimLahey

Post by JimLahey »

How's it working since install?

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

It's been working great. I really like have this gauge.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Sweet!