Power steering help, please

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
budojeepr

Power steering help, please

Post by budojeepr »

Hi all,

I'm nearing the completion of my body swap project (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... 069&page=5). The jeep runs, moves backward and forward, (most of) the wiring is done. I still have quite a few things on the to-do list, but they're not all that difficult.

However! The one thing that has me puzzled is the power steering. When the engine is running I can't make the steering work. It stays exactly where I had it before the engine was started. I can turn it manually with the engine off, but as soon as it's started it refuses to budge.

I don't think I moved any of the hoses during the body swap process, but with the hydroboost in there I'm not sure if I got it back together right. BTW, the hydroboost works just fine. Brakes are nice.

Suggestions for troubleshooting? Can anybody offer me a plumbing diagram of hydroboost brakes in conjunction with regular ol' power steering?

Thanks!

jaber
Vendor

Re: Power steering help, please

Post by jaber »

Hey Budo...Image

Pressure out from the pump to the HB, then from the HB to the steering box. The returns, if tee'd together, the steering box goes straight through to the pump and the HB goes to the 90* nipple. Bleeding is also key. IIRC the drivers side port on the steering box is the return port.

Find Elliot's HB sales thread in the homegrown vendors section on the mothership for all the info you'll need. Image
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

Thanks for the info. I already checked out Elliott's thread. I'll have a look after the Martinsville race is over. :)

Topic author
budojeepr

Post by budojeepr »

That was the deal - I needed to bleed the system more thoroughly.

This time I chocked the rear wheels, put the front axle up on stands so the wheels would turn freely, and (engine off) turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times.

Then I started it up and was able to turn it, albeit slowly and with some effort. A couple more lock to lock sequences and a power steering fluid refill and it is now working great!

Thanks again - the "bleeding" comment you threw in there was the ticket! :-bd

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

EXCELLENT!!! Glad to help...Image Image Image Image
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker