New QuadraTrac cones and other parts coming

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TrenchFoot

New QuadraTrac cones and other parts coming

Post by TrenchFoot »

I have been talking with Eric, the owner of Novak, about replacement QuadraTrac parts and transmission adapters. He agreed to take a look and have Novak's designers attempt to reverse engineer the most common wear items (well, except the chains...).

He just emailed me to say:
"We have actually taken a pretty forward stance on these. Our mfg engineer is prepping to make an initial run of the sun shaft and the diff cone, front output shaft and diff pin." Novak used to make replacement sun shafts but "demand was a little soft." It sounds like new tooling has opened up new possibilities for them.

They are also looking into a QT-700r4 adapter that would allow the use of a standard 700r4 tailshaft to help eliminate the slop and wear of the current 10-spline setup.

I didn't want to steal his thunder by posting this so I offered to keep it under embargo. But Eric replied:
"Not a problem. You can relay that it's our straight-up aspiration to make these items as outlined. That way, if one of them unexpectedly falls through, no-one should feel that the rug was pulled out from beneath them. Besides, it's their interest that will help determine how fully we jump into it."

So stop scrapping your QT cases. New parts (may be) on the way. Anyone interested?
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

letank

Re: New QuadraTrac cones and other parts coming

Post by letank »

TrenchFoot wrote:<snip>

So stop scrapping your QT cases. New parts (may be) on the way. Anyone interested?
Ha, Ha, we are jeep hoarders, not scrappers.... I have a 1 dead spare and one of uknown lifespan... so this is neat a real cheering news.

Popping a sierra nevada Torpedo extra IPA for the occasion.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its great to hear they will be making those parts. But I still feel without chains, people will just scrap them rather than rebuild them with bad chains :/
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

Stuka wrote:Its great to hear they will be making those parts. But I still feel without chains, people will just scrap them rather than rebuild them with bad chains :/
Eric's aware of the issue with chains. I told him about what's been said about Ramsey chains around here. I don't know what he thinks about it, but he sounded curious about what they'd charge to make a run of ~50. Who knows, maybe he wants to cure all QT ailments...
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

It would make them the one stop shop if so. Only way to make low volume doable is to be the only one doing it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

I have a NOS case if they need a go by for a while. On a loan type deal. Not much interested in selling it unless they definitely will make more parts that are now unobtainable. I'd like all new parts to rebuild one of my spare cases as a backup spare.

As it stands right now the low range shaft may be the only item I don't have a NOS replacement for. I just added 3 more qts of liquid gold to my collection last week.

Someone should reproduce the rebuild tool kit for these things. I keep hearing of a couple floating around but no pics of them yet.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.
1980 J20 Utility truck. Replaced above project.
1977 Honcho getting turned into a 1977 J20 Gladoncho.
IFSJA Member #4662 Joined March 28, 2003

We're on a road to nowhere.....

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I'm interested. I've got 3 cases. At least one of them needs parts right now.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I hate to say it but I am a member of QT Hoarders anonymous. :P

New parts would be great! :-bd
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

lutry

Post by lutry »

Dusty wrote:I hate to say it but I am a member of QT Hoarders anonymous. :P

New parts would be great! :-bd
x2
WJ Overland 4.7 HO, bright and friendly black, 2004
CJ7 304cui Quadratrac, firecracker red, 1979, all stock
ZJ Limited 5.2, black, 1998 (sold)
XJ Limited 4.0, dark green, 1997 (sold)

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Coun't me in. I have two QTs and would love to have all new parts to rebuild them. What about the vacuum control module? They interested in making them as well? :mrgreen:
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

MadMax78 wrote:Coun't me in. I have two QTs and would love to have all new parts to rebuild them. What about the vacuum control module? They interested in making them as well? :mrgreen:
I'm thinking of going manual for that, maybe. I do have 2 or 3 brand new ones here and all those old ones to use up first.

I've always thought the Quadra-Trac was the best case ever. It sucks for hole shot driving and hard core off road. Once you learn how to drive a chain driven machine you appreciate them even more. Having one that properly works is a slice of heaven to me.
I'm really not much of a target market for these guys but I would buy rebuild/bearing kits for sure. I have so many spare parts here and not even driving it anymore due to a long rebuild.

Isn't there a Chevy case that is just like a Quadra-Trac but it is gear driven? If so I would look into that option when my parts are gone if Quadr.
a-Trac parts are not available. I don't think I'll outlive my parts stash.
1980 and 81 J20 melding into a 1980 Utility bed J20. Project cancelled and for sale, found a factory truck.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I need to stock up on spare parts as well. I also need to swap my spare in now. Before I knew anything about the QT I drove mine for 6 hours without the front drive shaft. It was not in emergency drive either. :banghead: Now when the tranny shifts in to second the QT vibrates like crazy. Cant even use 4 wheel drive till I put in the spare. :banghead: Drives fine as long as I'm in 2 wheel drive. Live and learn I guess. How are you going to manually lock the QT? I'd be interested in that.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

I've run across a couple blogs and forum posts of guys changing from vacuum to cable-shift for Emergency Drive (here's a walkthru). There's a guy on ebay still selling NOS vacuum actuators for $45. Getting pricey, but cheaper than modding up an alternative.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

HOOT wrote:
MadMax78 wrote:Coun't me in. I have two QTs and would love to have all new parts to rebuild them. What about the vacuum control module? They interested in making them as well? :mrgreen:
I'm thinking of going manual for that, maybe. I do have 2 or 3 brand new ones here and all those old ones to use up first.

I've always thought the Quadra-Trac was the best case ever. It sucks for hole shot driving and hard core off road. Once you learn how to drive a chain driven machine you appreciate them even more. Having one that properly works is a slice of heaven to me.
I'm really not much of a target market for these guys but I would buy rebuild/bearing kits for sure. I have so many spare parts here and not even driving it anymore due to a long rebuild.

Isn't there a Chevy case that is just like a Quadra-Trac but it is gear driven? If so I would look into that option when my parts are gone if Quadr.
a-Trac parts are not available. I don't think I'll outlive my parts stash.
Only case GM used that was AWD in that time period is the NP203. Its chain driven with an open center diff. The other AWD case they used was the NP242, which is also chain driven.
2017 JKU Rubicon

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Thanks for the heads up TrenchFoot! Ordered 1.
MadMax78

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

MadMax78 wrote:Thanks for the heads up TrenchFoot! Ordered 1.
Oh, the vacuum actuator. At first I thought you meant QT diff cones! Yeah, I bought a couple a while back from him. They look like the real deal. No idea how many he has left, his listing from a year or two ago reads just like it does now.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I remember him having them a while back as well he had 3 so I ordered 1. Will be here by Wednesday. Stocking up as I can. I need to swap cases asap. :(
MadMax78

HOOT

Post by HOOT »

MadMax78 wrote:I need to stock up on spare parts as well. I also need to swap my spare in now. Before I knew anything about the QT I drove mine for 6 hours without the front drive shaft. It was not in emergency drive either. :banghead: Now when the tranny shifts in to second the QT vibrates like crazy. Cant even use 4 wheel drive till I put in the spare. :banghead: Drives fine as long as I'm in 2 wheel drive. Live and learn I guess. How are you going to manually lock the QT? I'd be interested in that.

The original cases were manual locks or at least I thought they were.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

HOOT wrote:I have a NOS case if they need a go by for a while. On a loan type deal. Not much interested in selling it unless they definitely will make more parts that are now unobtainable. I'd like all new parts to rebuild one of my spare cases as a backup spare.

As it stands right now the low range shaft may be the only item I don't have a NOS replacement for. I just added 3 more qts of liquid gold to my collection last week.

Someone should reproduce the rebuild tool kit for these things. I keep hearing of a couple floating around but no pics of them yet.
Are you talking about the Tool Kit that Flint got from me. If you are wanting to see the tooling see if he will bring it to Ouray.

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Post by TrenchFoot »

BJ's announced they are testing a couple of American made QT chains. In the comments of their Facebook post they said they're targeting a retail price of $250. https://www.facebook.com/bjsoffroad