I don't ask for much...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ScottsMojo

I don't ask for much...

Post by ScottsMojo »

Dear Jeep God,
I am but a simple man, I work hard for my money and I try to spend it wisely. I am family oriented, I spend an enormous time engaged in familial activities, and I as well as my family are a true believer in you. I have asked little from you over the years of my loyal dedication and service to you.
But now, at this moment I am compelled to reach out to you. I am reaching out not as a result of my own greed, but as a member of the greater FSJ community. My request is one that is simple to comprehend but apparently complex to execute.

My request is this-

PLEASE BRING AMC ENGINE GASKET TECHNOLOGY INTO THE 21st CENTURY!!!

Your lowly and forever faithful servant,
Scott

:-j

MT1

Re: I don't ask for much...

Post by MT1 »

Think breathing Life into the dead might be more attainable? LOL
Change is Opportunity

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

MT1 wrote:Think breathing Life into the dead might be more attainable? LOL
Uh, yea. I've got 7 fresh stitches in my index finger as a result of scraping craptastic gaskets off my engine block. Nevermind that I am a dumbass and didn't remove the razor sharp trans cooler line clips first...

Why can't we have steel or fiber reinforced moulded silicone gaskets?

Do I ask too much?

:-??

=))

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

X10000

It sure would be nice to have some 'modern' gaskets huh?

Just the other day I was helping my buddy replace the RMS in his XJ 4.0. Those engines have the same RMS as ours (just slightly smaller), but the oil pan gasket was ONE PIECE and was really thick and well made. Those are pretty old compared to what's out there now, I'm sure...

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Blake wrote:X10000

Just the other day I was helping my buddy replace the RMS in his XJ 4.0. Those engines have the same RMS as ours (just slightly smaller), but the oil pan gasket was ONE PIECE and was really thick and well made. Those are pretty old compared to what's out there now, I'm sure...
One piece would be great, but I would be happy with something besides cork. Fel Pro is making a killing off of 100 year old technology. I understand completely the reality of supply and demand but I would gladly pay $50 for a pan gasket that I could install and forget about.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Blake wrote:X10000

When I put a new pan gasket in my J10 I put a one piece seal in. It was awesome. It had ridges to provide multiple "seals" and had lips that went around the outside.

Has been on there for about 8 years now, no issues yet!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

ScottsMojo wrote:Uh, yea. I've got 7 fresh stitches in my index finger as a result of scraping craptastic gaskets off my engine block.
I have been using a 90* air grinder with the 2" rubber backing base, and the twist in brillo type pads. It makes the job ssssoooo much faster and easier. ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

jaber wrote:
ScottsMojo wrote:Uh, yea. I've got 7 fresh stitches in my index finger as a result of scraping craptastic gaskets off my engine block.
I have been using a 90* air grinder with the 2" rubber backing base, and the twist in brillo type pads. It makes the job ssssoooo much faster and easier. ;)
I use a gasket scraper and sweat. Which leads me to the root of this rant. You know those neat little s-clips that secure the trans cooler lines together? Sure you do.

While laying on my back scraping passenger side front to rear I caught one of those handy little clips with my index finger and laid it open from mid fingernail to the knuckle.

4 stitches later... x_x