What did I get myself into? Got a Gladiator

Area for General FSJ related chat.

carnuck

Re: What did I get myself into? Got a Gladiator

Post by carnuck »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I've never had an issue with Super Swampers and I've run them on various DD's, this truck will NOT be a DD.

Can the dash be pulled without removing the windshield? If it's not too hard I might just sandblast the dash and repaint it.

Got a chance to play with the truck a little bit and discovered why there's about 3/4 of a steering wheel revolution worth of play...The wheel is loose. That's DEFINITELY gotta be fixed. lol

Thinking about going to a smaller wheel if it has to be replaced and if I go to a smaller wheel I'll need power steering. What can I snatch a power steering box from for this truck?
Depends on whether it's Ross or Saginaw steering.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

jaber wrote: Out is easy, but you'll want the windshield out to reinstall. ;)
LOL It will be staying in place for now then.
carnuck wrote:
Depends on whether it's Ross or Saginaw steering.
How do I tell the two apart? All I really know at this point is that it's manual non-power steering.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Something else that just came to mind...Does the AM327 share the bolt pattern with the later AMC V8's?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

pic of the steering box? 327 is Gen 1 which is different. Gen 2 and Gen 3 are the same pattern. (crank flange was different)

mic63

Post by mic63 »

Wrap a finger around the bulb housing behind the 4 wd indicator lights and pull straight back, might have to wiggle them a little. They are held in place by 4 bent spring tabs. With a flashlight behind them you should see these.

In your photo, the right light lens looks dark. Is that a toggle switch to the left of the lights?. It makes me wonder if it didn't have the 4 light indicators at some time and a PO removing 2 of them. If so, the right light may be this one.

The 4 light indicator had a toggle switch to turn the lights off for night time driving. To know for sure, check the back of the transfer case for 2 plunger switches.

The light housing is held by 2 pan head screws, remove them before any paint removal. The lenses are some kind of plastic, not glass, and will warp if hit with paint removal chemicals. On the gauge cluster, if it were flooded, the numbers and letters on the glass would have softened and dissolved away.

GhostMedic

Post by GhostMedic »

mic63 wrote: In your photo, the right light lens looks dark. Is that a toggle switch to the left of the lights?. It makes me wonder if it didn't have the 4 light indicators at some time and a PO removing 2 of them. If so, the right light may be this one.
according to the FSM He's running with an optional 2 light sytem. Left light is "2WD
Right light is "4WD". Toggle switch on the left turns off the "2WD" Light so the bulb dosen't burn out as quick.
Keep The Shinny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down.

1965 Kaiser Jeep Gladiator project "Old Red" http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 564#p62348
kyamcalvert wrote: I hate to sound pessimistic, but these vehicles are not coveted, save for our relatively small and insane group...

mic63

Post by mic63 »

GhostMedic wrote:
mic63 wrote: In your photo, the right light lens looks dark. Is that a toggle switch to the left of the lights?. It makes me wonder if it didn't have the 4 light indicators at some time and a PO removing 2 of them. If so, the right light may be this one.
according to the FSM He's running with an optional 2 light sytem. Left light is "2WD
Right light is "4WD". Toggle switch on the left turns off the "2WD" Light so the bulb dosen't burn out as quick.
You are correct. I wasn't aware of an optional 2 light system, thank you for pointing that out. So the the optional 2 light system has 1 plunger switch on the back of transfer case and this light.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Whoa, cool info guys! Didn't even realize there was a toggle switch next to it, I gotta check this out.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

As for the bell housing, the 327 uses a different bolt pattern then the AMC engines. :(
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

jaber wrote:As for the bell housing, the 327 uses a different bolt pattern then the AMC engines. :(
Lovely. Engine does not turn over by hand at this point. The story goes that it was a DD then just quit one day and has been sitting ever since which could be anywhere from '95 - '00 according to the paperwork. If I had to bet either the timing chain went or the ignition died and it's just froze up from sitting so long.

I'm hopeful to get her going but am keeping an eye out for a good 327 just in case. The last few 327's I've found around here are all 'froze up from sitting' too. Coincidence or conspiracy? :P
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

There was also a 260 and 287 that fits.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

For those 4WD indicator lights to work do the headlights have too be on or are they on all the time? Playing around with the truck today and flicking the under dash switch but no lights.

Anybody know what size nut the crank takes?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

bigun

Post by bigun »

Have you pulled the plugs yet a soaked the cylinders with some kind of penetrating oil?

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

bigun wrote:Have you pulled the plugs yet a soaked the cylinders with some kind of penetrating oil?
Just diesel fuel. Yanked the plugs, poured some down the carb and watched to see which plugs it came out of. I figure it's most likely to be stuck on the cylinders with the intake valves open so those got the heaviest dose. Hoping it's something silly and it just got sticky from sitting.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

bigun

Post by bigun »

Try tranny fluid. If all else fails pull the top end apart and see how bad it is. You may be able to clean it up and a set of top end gaskets are cheaper than a new motor.

mic63

Post by mic63 »

The indicator lights should light up when the ignition is on. The toggle switch on the left side of the lights will turn them off. My set up is forward on, and pull back for off.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Went to look for something inside the truck today to use on GhostMedic's truck and it was brought to my attention that there are SNAKES inside this truck as evidenced by the hanging snakeskin.

My only question is how the heck can they even get up above the sunvisor?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

bigun

Post by bigun »

You would be surprised where I have found them. Skin could have been put there by some family member is trying to freak you out. Off hand guess steering wheel to mirror then onto visor, they're living on the mice you haven't found under the seat!
Last edited by bigun on Thu May 15, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

:shock: Crafty little suckers. That would be spooky...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Flipped the visor down and found a HUGE mouse nest up above that wasn't there as of a week ago. The snakeskin went up over the mouse nest and into the brow(because there is no headliner) so it looks like it definitely showed up for lunch. Wasn't about to stick my hand in there and fish around blindly so I tossed a firecracker up there and either he's dead, he wasn't home or he's deaf and PISSED OFF.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW