Converting to a GM tilt column... Need wire diagram

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
MT1

Converting to a GM tilt column... Need wire diagram

Post by MT1 »

I'm converting to a GM tilt wheel and need to find the original 74 Cherokee column electrical plug diagram so I can mix and match what I need. Any good ideas where to start my search?
Change is Opportunity

ScottsMojo

Re: Converting to a GM tilt column... Need wire diagram

Post by ScottsMojo »

Right here...

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Great resource!!!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

What year GM column? Some years are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Just swap wiring harnesses too.

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Stuka wrote:What year GM column? Some years are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
74 FSJ and a 86 Chevy column. Thinking this might be easier to just start tracking wires in the vehicle. I have the column all figured out I think... Its the FSJ thats going to be tricky! LOl
Change is Opportunity

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Thanks guys! It's all taken care of and looks like it will work just fine. Thanks again.
Change is Opportunity

710 Burner

Post by 710 Burner »

So.... give up some details man. What did you do? How did you get there?
'79 Chief "Junaluska" a shell of its former self really, but the force is strong in this one

Topic author
MT1

Post by MT1 »

Sorry thought I was the only one to do this. I couldn't find the wire diagram that I could read easily for the FSJ so I just took the time to figure out which wire went where off the stock column. I used a test light attached to a probe to pierce through the wire to see if it was hot or not. Marked it with the approprate function and spliced in a crimp on each wire. I got the stock plug and wire diagram from the donor rig which was an 1986 Suburban. It was just a matter of snipping and connecting the appropriate wires and crimping them. What I found that was kind of strange was the ignition mods on the column popped right into place? No mod required on the ignition modules. And it bolted up under the dash to the original mounting location like it was made for it? Think Jeep must of used Chevy columns in the 70's?

I changed the column all the way down to the back half of rag joint so there wasn't any spline issues. The Burb column is about 3 or 4 inches longer but the Double D slip joint took care of any length differences under the hood easily. The Chevy column is about an inch or so longer in the cab of the vehicle so the wheel is a little closer to me now but I really like it better. Its a tilt column with shifter and keyed. It took about 2 hours to do the whole swap.

I went to a column shift from a floor shifter and had to do some adjusting on the shifter arm going to the trans. The firewall is a lot shorter on the FSJA than the Burb so the shifter linkage coming off the end of the column is a couple inches further forward than the stock FSJ would be. For a floor shift rig it would of been much easier. I think a after market Flaming River or Ididit column built for a GM truck without shifter or keyed would be a very easy replacement. :-bd

Sorry for the delay in the followup reply! \m/
Change is Opportunity