DRW-FS J-Trucks ?'s

Area for General FSJ related chat.

mud89

Re: DRW-FS J-Trucks ?'s

Post by mud89 »

Yes the super waggy got the 4 barrel with as you said a compression near 10:1, the last super got the 350ci V8 buick
Thanks for the infos on the 327
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

Topic author
AMGeneral

Post by AMGeneral »

No problem glad the AMC-327 info was of some use for you.

AM-G
'73 Mack M54a1 cargo.
'75 Mack M52a1 tractor.
'81 AM-General AM715a2 SWB.
'83 AM-General AM720a2 LWB.
'88 AM-Jeep MJ/Comanche.

Isuzu 5.7L I6 diesel used in AM General A2 series mil-spec FSJs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wqXhidC10&feature=plcp

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Stuka wrote:
AMGeneral wrote:There were 2 car AMC-327s the 2bbl and the 4bbl, The 2bbl had 8.7:1 and the 4bbl had 9.7:1 at least in AMC marlins and Ramblers anyway. I have no idea what the FSJ's got for a setup.

I know the 304/360/401 got something like 8.3-8.5:1 in the Jeeps, and 9.0:1 with 10:1 optional in the AMX ans Javelins anyway.

AM-G
Pretty sure Jeeps were 2v only with the 327. The 4v intakes are pretty rare.
From what I have seen, only the pickups and Super Wagoneers came with the 4 bbl. 1970 or '71 401 had 10.5:1 as an option.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

AMGeneral wrote:Ya I wasn't sure every diesel fan I talked to didn't have a very good opinion of them.
Seem like the recurring statements were, They lacked power under heavy loads, Were kinda slow on get up and go and they had some issues with the electronic injection pump modules.

I think they kept calling it a "PMD" ? Which I'm told was best solved by switching to the mechanical system or relocating the PMD outside of the engine bay mounted to a heat sink call and FSD cooler ?
Then some mentioned there was issues with heads & blocks cracking ?

I know at the General, We used the GM-6.2 and 6.5-T's in hummer H1's as well as Humvee's we sold world wide.
They turbo and intake setup looks different, Maybe they weren't the same as GM trucks ?

Around '99 or '01 we switched to the "Optimizer-6500" which visually looked the same to me, But we got told its mechanically and structurally better. Some of the later or last run H1's got a Duramax diesel but the M-series stayed AMG-6500 powered. You should have seen the prototypes prior too :o production ;)

Goofy looking thing an AMC 401, Than 2 others similar to the production model with a Cummins 4 banger and an Isuzu 6 popper. The GM-6.2/6.5 was more cost effective and had parts commonality with the CUCV's.

Well now that I have dated myself and am feeling old I should get back on topic sorry for the side track.

It was suggested to me if I wanted a DRW FSJ it would be best to build one, So I was looking at DRW pickups that I could use as is till I found a J-series to slide the DRW axles under.

Found these 2 GM 3500's I would most likely that older $1,200 truck its got rust, So I wouldn't be wasting a truck to build a truck.

I guess that sounds silly, Not wasting a truck to build a truck.
AM-G
I had a J20 with a bad box I was going to put the CJ10A duallie Dana 70 rear axle under (they ran them single to tuck under the rear fenders and keep them narrow) Sadly, I found a frame crack and gave my son the body for parts for his J10 in Canada. I still have the flatbed leaning against my cabin.
Now I have an arm crack that may need surgery and my Honcho will be going away too. (my son can help me with Black Jack since it's almost finished, but I have to tow it to Canada to get it done)

On those upgraded GM 6.5 diesels, S&J engines had a bunch of them in stock in crates up in Spokane last I heard
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
AMGeneral

Post by AMGeneral »

Last I knew GM was replacing their 6.5 with our updated 6500 when they do a swap out :-? I know a lot of the after market diesel suppliers are also buying our diesels too. Plus all the army surplus guys will be buying them if they ain't already doing so !

AM-G
'73 Mack M54a1 cargo.
'75 Mack M52a1 tractor.
'81 AM-General AM715a2 SWB.
'83 AM-General AM720a2 LWB.
'88 AM-Jeep MJ/Comanche.

Isuzu 5.7L I6 diesel used in AM General A2 series mil-spec FSJs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wqXhidC10&feature=plcp