bedliner

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
jfliege

bedliner

Post by jfliege »

So this is a bench racing exercise that will be next on the list after I get the replacement engine in. my 87' wagoneer while it has very little rust on it does have a fatal exterior flaw for the rust belt. The hood and roof paint is delaminted for lack of a better word.

the question I have been kicking around is whether or not to paint or bedline the exterior. to paint myself will take a ton more work and cost 2 to 3 times the money. the site I have looked at for the smooth liner is https://www.durabakstore.com/durabak18-smooth-gallon. I know that it won't look as good as the paint but it should be more durable and take a tone less work.

Anyway I'm not opposed to doing a job that takes more work if it is worth the work.

What do you guys think?
87' grand wagoneer with a rusty's 4"
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

Walter

Re: bedliner

Post by Walter »

I used duplicolor on the interior of mine and the result was about as smooth as the rubber/vinyl floor coverings that come in vehicles and is not hard to wipe clean. I used herculiner on the fenders on the outside and it is very rough. I would like to see the texture on the durabak compared to duplicolor. I was impressed with the ability to hide many small flaws with the quick application of the roll on finish. However, be warned, the duplicolor removed the new single stage paint I had on the exterior, which is why I went with herculiner on the outside. Read the fine print and make sure it will be compatable with your top coat. Would love to see you results.

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

Walter wrote:I used duplicolor on the interior of mine and the result was about as smooth as the rubber/vinyl floor coverings that come in vehicles and is not hard to wipe clean. I used herculiner on the fenders on the outside and it is very rough. I would like to see the texture on the durabak compared to duplicolor. I was impressed with the ability to hide many small flaws with the quick application of the roll on finish. However, be warned, the duplicolor removed the new single stage paint I had on the exterior, which is why I went with herculiner on the outside. Read the fine print and make sure it will be compatable with your top coat. Would love to see you results.
According to their website documentation it is safe on exterior paint or primer and if it were to disolve the exterior paint then it would be doing me a favor while not working. I plan on spraying the textured on the interior floor and then fabing or buying (from an ifsja member i saw that makes them) mdf interior side panels and spraying those too.

The big hesitation on the outside is that I worry even though it's smooth that it will look crappy. Then I think I should just do it right and spray my waggy with enamel and deal with the 4 to 5 coats it's supposed to take adn the obsurd amount of prep. :-o
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Also consider its storage habits. If it sits in the sun, it will turn chalky over time. My sons sat outside for 10 years and its hard as a rock, and very faded. The high spots are still there and the original color is showing in the low spots.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

well I just wanted to reply as I have decided that I am going to enamal the outside of my waggy and not use durabak. i will be using it on the inside of it and doing the rear bumper of my wife's grand cherokee since some 16 yr old kid rear ended her and I would rather pocket the remander and just coat the bumper. It will also let me cover up some rust that is starting to bubble on the tail gate too. What I have decided to do is to do the headliner of my cherokee that is falling with the lite grey instead of playing with foam and cloth and adhesives. I know nether of them are fsjs but what do you think. :-bd
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps

wayne

Post by wayne »

Any one ever use it for under coating? might help slow down the rust.
78 wagoneer 401 QT 4in. lift.

Topic author
jfliege

Post by jfliege »

I have not done under coating yet but I hear it does help. I have heard that por15 is better for that though.
2015 jk unlimited

I love me some Jeeps