Timing cover leaks, third times a charm?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
44bz

Timing cover leaks, third times a charm?

Post by 44bz »

I don't care much to think about it, but I believe this is my third gasket set for the timing cover and I've yet to keep the coolant from seeping out. This is for the AMC 327, cover/crossover setup. First try I used blue RTV on everything with gaskets and got leaks mainly from the water crossover. The guys on the AMC forum suggested Indian Head sealer so I gave that shot on the cover, but used copper spray on the crossover. The crossover sealed nicely with no leaks, but coolant found it's way past the Indian Head sealer.

So I got another gasket set and need to get this done in the next couple weeks, but I'm a little apprehensive about it at this point since I keep burning money on coolant and gasket sets. So, should I try just copper spray on the cover gasket and cross my fingers? I thought about using just The Right Stuff gasket maker - used that on the water pump without a gasket and it did great. I've followed the TSM guidelines each time for reassembly. I'm not sure if the upper bolts in the cover need to be sealed, but could wrap them with plummer's tape this time around. I don't believe the cover is warped as it wasn't leaking before I replaced the gaskets. Any ideas for me?
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

68glad

Re: Timing cover leaks, third times a charm?

Post by 68glad »

It's been awhile since I've taken mine off but I believe one (mabey two) of the bolts does need to be siliconed. Threads go all the way through. Correction anyone??
edit: forgot 327........
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.