Roof Bows

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Roof Bows

Post by ScottsMojo »

Tell me, please, what is the proper method of installing the roof bows? Before you blast me with tool tips and yadda yadda, what I am asking is what is the proper relationship between a roof bow and the roof on a rig that DOES NOT drum like Lars Ulrich? Just snug, full force contact? In between? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have tried both and I am stumped...

BTW, Metallica ROCKS! :rock on:

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Roof Bows

Post by Stuka »

I assume you means the ones that go on the inside of the roof? From the factory there is a thick piece of what looked like to me, carpet padding. Its not carpet padding, but what was on my '75 certainly looked like it. This fills the gap between the support and the roof. It allows for movement, but prevents the vibration that causes the thunderstorm sounds.

Ultimately though, a head liner makes the single largest difference IMHO.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

One of the things I did was to take all the braces down and cover the roof with water heater insulation, the foil on both sides type.
I stuck it up there with 3M Super 77 adhesive, then foil tape around the edges, pay attention to the light wires as you go.
When reinstalling the braces I used old mouse pads in the centers and jacked them up tight against the roof with a 2x4 in the center then tightened them down.

Even though I only have about 2/3 of my roof left it is still the quietest and coolest (temp wise) part of my jeep.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Thank you gentlemen. Insulation and a new headliner is in the works but other projects have to be completed before I can get to those, and the roof drumming must be solved before it gets covered up.
My 74 has what appears to be some form of a heavy tar-paper that was glued? to the roof? Its factory as the paint line suggests such. The roof bows have a very stiff material attached to them, I have not quite figured out what it is. I looks like a fiberboard material of some kind.

I took the bows down and added weatherstrip foam but that was too soft, so I will find something with a higher durometer. News at 11 ! :-bd

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

I had the same tar paper like stuff on the '70 roof.
Most of it came off with a drywall knife, the rest that was stuck good just stayed up there.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
ScottsMojo

Post by ScottsMojo »

Tad wrote:I had the same tar paper like stuff on the '70 roof.
Most of it came off with a drywall knife, the rest that was stuck good just stayed up there.
The aforementioned roof bows are holding the paper in place on Schwag. I've left it in place to keep the rust flakes out of my hair! =))

Once I get my hands on a good windshield gasket and get that installed the roof bows come down, the tar paper comes out and I tackle the rusty roof. Once thats clean, sealed and painted then the insulation and new headliner will go in.