Reducing wear on a 1339 QuadraTrac

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
plasticboob

Reducing wear on a 1339 QuadraTrac

Post by plasticboob »

Hey everyone, just a few questions. Now that no one makes a decent chain for the QTrac, and of course there are no internal parts available, I'd like to preserve mine.

So we all know that it's okay to run in Emergency Drive (locked center diff) with the front driveshaft removed - but my question is, would this reduce wear on the chain since it is now only driving the rear wheels?

Also, is there any long-term risk to permanently running this way? I can't remember much about how the QTrac works, but I seem to recall the shift fork being made of plastic.
Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel-injected 401,Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click here for video

FSJ Guy

Re: Reducing wear on a 1339 QuadraTrac

Post by FSJ Guy »

There are plastic sliders (wear pads) on the shift fork. The shift fork itself is metal.

IIRC, the chain is in use regardless of wether or not it is in E-drive or not.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
plasticboob

Post by plasticboob »

FSJ Guy wrote:There are plastic sliders (wear pads) on the shift fork. The shift fork itself is metal.

Ah, that's right, the plastic sliders.

True, but since it will only be driving the rears instead of the fronts and rears, it should require less power to get moving since all that energy is now being transferred to the rears only? Now instead of requiring more power to get the front driveshaft, gears, etc. moving, it can be directed to the rears and thus the ground. I know conservation of energy and all that, but it just seems like less wear having only to drive the rears? Someone set me straight before I confuse myself. :P
Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel-injected 401,Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click here for video

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

In theory that might make sense to me but you are still pushing the same amount of weight down the road. Drive it and enjoy it or park it and preserve it and wish you were driving it. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

plasticboob wrote:
FSJ Guy wrote:There are plastic sliders (wear pads) on the shift fork. The shift fork itself is metal.

Ah, that's right, the plastic sliders.

True, but since it will only be driving the rears instead of the fronts and rears, it should require less power to get moving since all that energy is now being transferred to the rears only? Now instead of requiring more power to get the front driveshaft, gears, etc. moving, it can be directed to the rears and thus the ground. I know conservation of energy and all that, but it just seems like less wear having only to drive the rears? Someone set me straight before I confuse myself. :P

No, it won't make any difference. All power goes through the chain, regardless of whether front or rear or both are connected. The tiny reduction in drag from not driving the front axle won't make a significant difference.

Baby it (less throttle) and it will last longer.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Ristow

Post by Ristow »

put a D20 in it.
It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...