Honcho version of new Gladiator

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

Honcho version of new Gladiator

Post by will e »

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

brielly
Vendor

Re: Honcho version of new Gladiator

Post by brielly »

I like the looks, but I'm not so sure about the price.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Still has that ugly wrangler grill..

And it still has the weak v6, and poor towing... ive seen videos of it pulling 5-6k lbs it get thrown around on the road like a rag doll.. the Jeep is overrated for its size
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:Still has that ugly wrangler grill..

And it still has the weak v6, and poor towing... ive seen videos of it pulling 5-6k lbs it get thrown around on the road like a rag doll.. the Jeep is overrated for its size
I personally know somebody that towed 7k lbs across the country with one and he had zero issues. TFL Truck did a max towing test up and down the Eisenhower grade in Colorado without any real issues. The only downsides is that current one doesn't have a factory brake controller (its coming this fall) and it doesn't have towing mirrors (Which most midsize trucks don't). And the tow rating is right there with the other mid size trucks, such as the new Ranger. You may say its overrated, but they use SAE tow standards to get the rating. Its not like they just make it up.

Is it a race car with 285hp? No. But its by no means weak. It makes more power than every full size truck (gas) from the mid 90's, and those trucks all weighed more and only had 4sp transmissions. And the 3.0L EcoDiesel comes later this year.
I really dig the alloy wagon wheels. I have not seen those before.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

I'll be dead before I can afford one.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Love the look of this. But I'd prefer the later Honcho stripes on it.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

derf

Post by derf »

Stuka wrote:
candymancan wrote:And the 3.0L EcoDiesel comes later this year.
According to pretty much every source I've heard/read, the diesel has issues getting adequate air flow and the resulting cooling problems means that it will have a lower tow rating than the Pentastar.

And that's assuming that the EcoDiesel actually makes it into a production model. While the Ram has a lot of information out about the next gen EcoDiesel, no one has heard a peep about actual numbers in the Wrangler series.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

derf wrote:
Stuka wrote:
candymancan wrote:And the 3.0L EcoDiesel comes later this year.
According to pretty much every source I've heard/read, the diesel has issues getting adequate air flow and the resulting cooling problems means that it will have a lower tow rating than the Pentastar.

And that's assuming that the EcoDiesel actually makes it into a production model. While the Ram has a lot of information out about the next gen EcoDiesel, no one has heard a peep about actual numbers in the Wrangler series.
Yeah, FCA is not letting out much information. The Gladiator does have a different grill than the Wrangler with much larger openings for cooling. But we will have to wait till later this year to get more info.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Stuka wrote:
candymancan wrote:Still has that ugly wrangler grill..

I personally know somebody that towed 7k lbs across the country with one and he had zero issues. TFL Truck did a max towing test up and down the Eisenhower grade in Colorado without any real issues. The only downsides is that current one doesn't have a factory brake controller (its coming this fall) and it doesn't have towing mirrors (Which most midsize trucks don't). And the tow rating is right there with the other mid size trucks, such as the new Ranger. You may say its overrated, but they use SAE tow standards to get the rating. Its not like they just make it up.

Is it a race car with 285hp? No. But its by no means weak. It makes more power than every full size truck (gas) from the mid 90's, and those trucks all weighed more and only had 4sp transmissions. And the 3.0L EcoDiesel comes later this year.
I really dig the alloy wagon wheels. I have not seen those before.

Sure he did no issus at all right. They tested it... it screems like a banshee going up a mountain.. and going down that trailer wiggled thr jeep around... go to 9:20and watch for 10 secomds or so...

Ill pass on a pickup that gets tossed around by a trailer

It doesnt make more power then a 90s fullsized truck.. the ram had the same engine my ZJ has.. little less power but they made 245hp and 330 ft lbs of torwue at 3200rpm (mine has 345ft lbs of torque).. Youre saying the pentastar has more power ? I dont see it.. 80 hp more ? And 60 ft lbs of torque less at 3200 rpm more.. yea 6400 rpm... having the truck constantly upshifting to save the engine while losing power. I guess you forgot that torque matters more when towing ?

Ill take 330ft lbs of torque and ride in 3rd gear at 3500 rpm then ride at 6400 rpm red line.. the pentastar is a weak engine and prone to bearing failure like the 5.7 hemi ... a 2002 5.2 (295lbs ft at 3k rpm) and 5.9 liter ram would out tow this little toy. Youre also forgetting about the 8 liter v10 ram that had 450lbs ft of torque at 2400 rpm those were in ram 2500s and 3500s. Youre the one who said fullsized trucks.. not me. Also fuel economy on their test was 4.7mpg. A 5.9 liter magnum would get about the same. So the penstar with its 10k gears will not win in the mpg category either.

The only thing this beats from the 90s are small pickups with a v6... from 25 years ago..

https://youtu.be/Cnl9OUg5YxY
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)