Is there any way to repair a bent driver's seat in a Wagoneer?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Is there any way to repair a bent driver's seat in a Wagoneer?

Post by Jasonjoli »

Since I bought my Wagoneer in November I've noticed that the seat keeps leaning back on the right shoulder of the driver's side seat. I've tried to bend it forward but it just bends right back. I was surprised to realize there is no recline adjustment. With power seats I was shocked they are a rigid design. Has anyone successfully repaired this or do I need a new seat?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Is there any way to repair a bent driver's seat in a Wagoneer?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Ahhh... The Waggy "gangsta" lean!

I’ve never heard of one being fixed successfully as it was a poor design. You could source a good seat and transfer your cover over to it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Ahhh... The Waggy "gangsta" lean!

I’ve never heard of one being fixed successfully as it was a poor design. You could source a good seat and transfer your cover over to it.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I have heard you have to completely remove the cover and foam, then re-weld and gusset the weak spot. Then re assemble. A lot of work, especially if you tear the seat cover while removing it.

You can also get a good passenger side seat and swap tracks I believe, since most drivers side seats are already broken like this (or close).
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Borh my seats lean to one side.. but they only do that if the power seat is bottomed out all the way down.

If you raise the seat up a little then push it down again youll see one corner will go doen a little more thrn thr other.

My fix is to raise the power seat a little smudge up and it will even both sides out
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

Hi, I have the same problem with my Wagoneer the seats are killing my back on long drives. I took the seat covers off and it's a nightmare to get to the metal as the foam is built around it. I did raise up the bracket with some metal washers to try and level the seat. Bottom line are the seats are pretty bad design. I was trying to see if I could find some later model seats that have a similar shape that have a recline adjustment built into them and to see if I can then put the stock seat covers over the whole setup and see if it ends up still looking stock.

tedlovesjeeps71

Jasonjoli wrote:Hi, I have the same problem with my Wagoneer the seats are killing my back on long drives. I took the seat covers off and it's a nightmare to get to the metal as the foam is built around it. I did raise up the bracket with some metal washers to try and level the seat. Bottom line are the seats are pretty bad design. I was trying to see if I could find some later model seats that have a similar shape that have a recline adjustment built into them and to see if I can then put the stock seat covers over the whole setup and see if it ends up still looking stock.

Maybe try a grand Cherokee seat? They are fairly comfy.

Topic author
Jasonjoli

Post by Jasonjoli »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Jasonjoli wrote:Hi, I have the same problem with my Wagoneer the seats are killing my back on long drives. I took the seat covers off and it's a nightmare to get to the metal as the foam is built around it. I did raise up the bracket with some metal washers to try and level the seat. Bottom line are the seats are pretty bad design. I was trying to see if I could find some later model seats that have a similar shape that have a recline adjustment built into them and to see if I can then put the stock seat covers over the whole setup and see if it ends up still looking stock.

I will look into it. I also remember some low-end Buicks and Pontiacs having some pretty generic seats in the 90s it might be a good base

tedlovesjeeps71

Jasonjoli wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

I will look into it. I also remember some low-end Buicks and Pontiacs having some pretty generic seats in the 90s it might be a good base

Too bad it's hard to find a waggy in a self serve junkyard now days. A trip there trying different seats from other makes/models would be productive.