A short trip to Austin, NV

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

A short trip to Austin, NV

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Sorry there isn't a whole ton of narrative to this one, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. Had a nearly 500 mile weekend in the old girl, about 60 miles of dirt and trails. Headed out to Austin, NV to camp on some National Forest land, and do some backroading.

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Pretty much all a man needs is right in this picture:

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Sorry I dont have a titanium spork, just vintage plates and collapsible wine glasses.

ImageUntitled

Some of the more basic stuff: A Dorr-Oliver Rotary Drum Filter at the Yankee Blade mine

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

We saw lots of ruins and old mining buildings:

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

Lots of "two-tracks" if you can even call them that anymore, that hadnt been driven on in quite some time:

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Drove south a little ways to see how far up the pass to Kingston we could get, which was still snowed in, eventually turned around:

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Overall, a decent little trip.
Last edited by Dr. Marneaus on Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

weeegoneeer

Re: A short trip to Austin, NV

Post by weeegoneeer »

Simply amazing.
1984 GW

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Really awesome shots!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Love these posts. Keep up the adventuring. Sad that trails are dying. I blame social platforms keeping us anti social. The biggest reason I still have a flip phone is to keep me grounded in reality.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Some incredible phots there, Doctor! That trailer set-up looks great too, towed or in camp! Quite spacious and comfy. A great way to spend the weekend.
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

dodgerammit wrote:Love these posts. Keep up the adventuring. Sad that trails are dying. I blame social platforms keeping us anti social. The biggest reason I still have a flip phone is to keep me grounded in reality.
Well, this WAS a big mining area, and thats mostly why I'd say. We're talking trails that went to mines that close 100 years or 140 years ago, so not much reason to get out to them. Most of the super worn down roads you see had alternative ways of getting to where they left that were still much better traveled.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Still can't beat the scenery. And an introvert like me loves minimal company.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pretty country. Lots of green for that area - get much rain last winter?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

tgreese wrote:Pretty country. Lots of green for that area - get much rain last winter?
Yep, it was a wet spring, and we're just coming off the end of it so everything is still a lovely green before it all turns to not so lovely light brown.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

dodgerammit wrote:Still can't beat the scenery. And an introvert like me loves minimal company.
Agreed, theres a reason i dont do campgrounds so much anymore.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Little video my wife made of the trip:

https://youtu.be/qzzbXIs-Dus