New Old Truck Woes

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
PossumJr

New Old Truck Woes

Post by PossumJr »

So I'm new to the world of FSJs and hoping people with more experience mechanically/FSJ wise can help me out here.

I recently acquired my J10 and have been trying to work out the gremlins as I find them. So far I've had no indications of drivetrain issues other than U-joints that need to be replaced; today I decided to try it out for an extended highway jog to work. After about 15 minutes of 65-70 mph (no idea how far off my speedo is) I hear a single loud *clink* followed a few seconds later by another, I was loosing speed and giving it gas only revved the engine. After pulling over I noticed a slight whif of something that smelled hot that wasn't the usual smell of exhaust that surrounds my truck and a subtle ticking noise. After a few minutes it subsided and I was able to drive off without issue and made it through 30 miles of back road driving just fine. (Probably shouldn't have pushed my luck but at that point I didn't care)

Anyone have any ideas what caused this? TH400 need attention? Quadratrac?
1979 J10, 360/QT

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: New Old Truck Woes

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

What year J truck is it?

tedlovesjeeps71

What year J truck is it?

Topic author
PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

1979 J10, 360/QT

tedlovesjeeps71

What's the fluid in the quadratac look like? Just a guess (as that's all I can do on the interwebs) but maybe the fluid is low/old and not letting the coupler work/was sticking? Maybe flush and fill with proper q-trac fluid?

Topic author
PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

Wouldn't be surprised if the QT fluid is gnarly, my next to-do has been to tear into it and replace chain, fluid, etc so I've put off looking at it and the low-range box. I'm likely not putting off too much longer after today.
1979 J10, 360/QT

derf

Post by derf »

I'd probably look at the transmission as well. Especially if you're going to pull the transfer case. A 40 year old tranny is probably not in pristine working order.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

When i got my 90 GW i never checked the transfercase fluid right away because the bolt to remove it was like a huge 1 1.2 inch socket i didnt have. 2 months later i got the socket and checked.. and it was completetly empty. Like nothing in it.

I filled it up and ive put 25k miles on it since oddly being dry didnt hurt it at least from what ive seen which is lucky lol.

I know off top and i cant help your ussue but i felt like posting this lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

My guess would be tranny--fluid or shifter.

letank

Post by letank »

PossumJr wrote:
After about 15 minutes of 65-70 mph (no idea how far off my speedo is) I hear a single loud *clink* followed a few seconds later by another, I was loosing speed and giving it gas only revved the engine. After pulling over I noticed a slight whif of something that smelled hot that wasn't the usual smell of exhaust that surrounds my truck and a subtle ticking noise. After a few minutes it subsided and I was able to drive off without issue and made it through 30 miles of back road driving just fine. (Probably shouldn't have pushed my luck but at that point I didn't care)

Anyone have any ideas what caused this? TH400 need attention? Quadratrac?
a clink can be a part that abruptly separated and bounced over such as a front brake dust shield, explaining the slow down,... otherwise, exhaust heat shield, exhaust hanger, the ticking may not be related, but a sudden observation due to the clink. Ticking noise can be anything anywhere, time to check for exhaust leaks, the quality of any drivetrain oil.

Do you have a QT with part time kit?

Use a gps to have an idea of your speedo
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)