Harmonic balancer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Harmonic balancer

Post by ShagWagon »

I get a vibration just above idle or while slow cruising. Went to swap the vibration dampener from my parts Jeep and it’s bad.

Any advice on where to buy a replacement?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

REDONE

Re: Harmonic balancer

Post by REDONE »

ebay or any autoparts store. They're about $100 after shipping no matter which way you go. I'd avoid the go-fast-racecar versions out there. Sometimes they're listed cheaper than an OE replacement, but the only one I've seen in person was cheap, chinese, and just a disc full of sand.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

The one on there I bought from a McParts store about 2 years ago but I don’t remember which one and it seems to be bad. I can’t tell but I’ve narrowed it down enough ( I think) to replace it and hope my issue goes away.

Wondering best option.

Ada Enix brand or something
Dorman.
Both about $80 shipped eBay amazon..

Used online junkyard about $40

Damper dudes is $110 without a core so I assume they rebuild OEM ones? MYbe I should send in my parts one for a rebuild I think may be $75 but with shipping lol maybe not worth it.

All kinds of them on summit racing, but yeah they look great but not so sure of quality...
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'd bet two glazed donuts that the Omix Ida and Dorman both come from the same factory, but it's really the only game in town. If you have the time to send yours off to be rebuilt I'd love to see what the experience is like, but I agree that it doesn't seem worth it on it's face. All they can do is clean up the threads, burn out the rubber and inject new rubber. From that perspective I don't know that it's that much better for the environment than making them from scratch (my usual argument for refurbishing instead of replacing), and if that's all they're doing, I don't know that it's worth the price of a new one.

That said, I'm just glad that they are available from the parts stores again! I was in need of one during the Cash for Clunkers era, and those were among the parts that went out of production entirely.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

I wound up getting mine rebuilt from this place (is the is same as damper dudes?): https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?rout ... &limit=100

Anyway, it was worth it and looked like good work. They guy I spoke to was awesome and got right on it. It's kinda hard to say "THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!!" about a balancer, but would do it again.
1984 GW

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

weeegoneeer wrote:I wound up getting mine rebuilt from this place (is the is same as damper dudes?): https://damperdoctor.com/index.php?rout ... &limit=100

Anyway, it was worth it and looked like good work. They guy I spoke to was awesome and got right on it. It's kinda hard to say "THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!!" about a balancer, but would do it again.
How much was it and how long did it take?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a Dayco at RockAuto for about $80. Dayco is a decent brand, been around for at least 50 years, and not Omix. Much of the Dorman stuff is good; I would not reject it out of hand because it's Dorman branded (though I would reject Omix without any additional reason. Run away!)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 50&jsn=424

They also offer an ATP and Pioneer brand for ca $110; these are brands I usually see for motor mounts and other cast rubber stuff, so it makes sense that they would offer dampers too. Quality is not always the greatest, as I recall.

If the Damper Dude does not want your core, I would suspect they are simply reselling the commercially available parts. A common practice.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

How much was it and how long did it take?
Was $160 or so and he turned it right around. Want to say about a week?
1984 GW

Topic author
ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I called damperdudes and ordered one by phone.

They had a rebuilt OEM one for $75.78 and $15shipping +$35 core that costs $15 to ship back so $105 when said and done.

We will see how it goes.