Summer project

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Gandalf99

Summer project

Post by Gandalf99 »

I found this on craigslist the other day and was wondering on your guys opinion of it. I am interested in it as a summer project to just get it to the street-able point.

It has a decent amount of rust on the floor boards and rockers but the frame seems fine. Mostly complete but it's been in a feild so mice have trashed most of it. (All glass is there. Passenger side just fell down into door)

I really like the look of wagoneers with this grill. And have been looking for a summer project. I'm not a master mechanic but have fixed several wrecked tjs and several newer vehicles.

Wanting to know if it is to far gone or not. Any thoughts are welcome! ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BCRAWLER

Re: Summer project

Post by BCRAWLER »

Price?
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
Gandalf99

Post by Gandalf99 »

I could get it for $500. So definitely pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

From here it looks like if they gave me $500 I might take it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I think the main problem you would encounter is how much you'd need to replace. I look at it, and to me there's not a lot there. It has potential, but it also will need a lot of replacement parts. Parts for these cars are not plentiful, and completeness matters ... a lot. The grilles are quite portable, and you could go with a newer model and the razor grille (this style) would be easy to add. Here are the years and grille types - http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/fsjgrilles.htm

Worthwhile to learn a little bit about these Jeeps and what features and equipment came and went with the years. Just a year or two difference can make a big difference in what you get.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

mas3773

Post by mas3773 »

Hello fellow Kansan. I've had that ad up for a while...I was considering grabbing one of those he has to strip the grill and the dash from and probably scrapping the rest. But damn....glad I've been twiddling my thumbs on that. That thing is rough. Your summer project might turn into a 5 year project with that. You may be an expert with welding body panels though by the time you were half done.

You might check out the '89 the guy has listed in Independence, MO (if you're in the area). It doesn't have pictures on the ad, but it might be a bit more complete, unless he's parted out much of it already.
'89 Waggy (work is just getting started)

Topic author
Gandalf99

Post by Gandalf99 »

Thanks for the input guys. I know it is very rough and I wasn't expecting it to be paintable anytime soon, but I was holding out that there was enough there to get it going and cruise it around for a few summers.

Thanks for the tip on the 89 ad but I think I'll hold out for one with a razor grill and a 60s style dash. Unless those are swappable without too much effort. (I need to go look at the builds threads that do that)

mas3773 the other wagoneers in that listing are also trashed. The interior is "better" but the rust is much worse.

letank

Post by letank »

as said above for $500 , we expect that the engine is cranking and trying to fire up! otherwise between the drivetrain, the rust and the interior it will be at least a $5K diy project.

Grille can be swapped, dash in its interity can be done as well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

letank wrote:as said above for $500 , we expect that the engine is cranking and trying to fire up! otherwise between the drivetrain, the rust and the interior it will be at least a $5K diy project.

Grille can be swapped, dash in its interity can be done as well

At least... lol. My 90 has costed me 4k in parts tools paint cans and stuff to fix the electrical. Get a headliner. Fix rust.. and leaks and a new suspension.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

bigun

Post by bigun »

I'll quote Monty Python from Search for the Holy Grail "RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY"

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

That is not a Project vehicle but a Parts vehicle--for sure. However, $500 is a fair price for parts. You could easily get $2000 for all the parts.

PossumJr

Post by PossumJr »

You can fix most things with enough time, effort, and (most importantly) money. I wouldn't say it's toast, but that thing is going to need a lot of work to just get it road worthy more than likely. Not a summer project really, more along the lines of a few years.
1979 J10, 360/QT

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote: At least... lol. My 90 has costed me 4k in parts tools paint cans and stuff to fix the electrical. Get a headliner. Fix rust.. and leaks and a new suspension.
very good details about costs. My 85 initial purchase of $250 in 2002 resulted in a series of continous weekend challenges, and long wait periods, it was mostly seals, all of them from oil pan to water pump, timing, trans, TC output, PS, valves... the next is the intake manifold. At that time the 74 was the runner

Going thru the sunday paper the other week, that $13k special on a 2018 new Renegage Latitude looks more appealing, put gas and forget about everything else... especially the 12mpg, of course the reviews about the 9 speed auto are not very engaging...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)