Tailgate sweep/seal

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Tailgate sweep/seal

Post by custom76 »

After installing both the window sweeps, window seal and tailgate seal, it strikes me the protrusion at each end of the tailgate will allow a measurable amount of water straight to the inside of it.

I haven’t shopped repro parts in a while, but don’t recall seeing anything for this area that looks like it’s begging for water to come in.

Anyone have thoughts on this besides removing the useless drain hole filters?

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

dodgerammit

Re: Tailgate sweep/seal

Post by dodgerammit »

Are you talking about water getting inside the tailgate? If so, then yeah. Water will get inside, just like a door. There are holes in the bottom of the tailgate to allow the water to escape.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

The area next to the tailgate (where the latch is) is outside the gasket, and water is ok there. It just flows out the bottom.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

dodgerammit wrote:Are you talking about water getting inside the tailgate? If so, then yeah. Water will get inside, just like a door. There are holes in the bottom of the tailgate to allow the water to escape.
Just seems like such a large opening, but then again, it’s a Wagoneer. Water gets in the doors?

Thx
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D