New Interior Door Panels

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Walter

New Interior Door Panels

Post by Walter »

Thought I would share a little about my new door panels. I made these out of a signmakers material called alumaclad or something like that. It is a PVC board clad in painted aluminum on each side. One side is glossy and the other is matte. It comes in many colors. I do not know what the cost is because I got mine as a damaged scrap from a signmaker but you may be able to find some locally as scraps like I did. It can be cut and drilled with wood working tools and looks to be very durable, at least water resistant if nothing else? I turned the glossy side out on mine. My Jeep is the Laredo package and had small chrome stripes on the doors and a silver vinyl stripe. They were very damaged and half of my chrome stripes were missing. So, I had the stainless cargo area strips that came out of the back. I used them as accent pieces on the panels by attaching them with stainless screws. They are exactly the right length and already have two holes in them. One note, the panels are not square on either side they taper both ways. I mistakingly assumed they were square and started by ripping them square on the table saw so when I cut them to size I lost a little on the bottom. I attached them to the door with stainless screws and finish washers. Should be much easier to take on and off from now on without having to worry about damaging the plastic clips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: New Interior Door Panels

Post by Stuka »

Looks nice!!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

DC78FSJ

Post by DC78FSJ »

They came out great. I'm going to have to make a set myself and I might "borrow" your idea...
1982 CJ-8 Scrambler
2013 JK unlimited

Previous Jeeps:
50 CJ-3a, 52 CJ-3a, 76 CJ-5, 79 CJ-7, 87 YJ Laredo,90 Xj 2 Door, 93 Xj 2 Door, 02 WJ Limited, 03 WJ Limited, 03 TJ X,
04 Wj Laredo, 05 TJ Sport, 05 KJ Limited, 15 Grand Limited,
17 Hemi Trailhawk

rstep

Post by rstep »

They look really good.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

Topic author
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thanks guys. I am proud of them and welcome you to use the idea. If I can help anyway let me know.
Walter

jeepguy77

Post by jeepguy77 »

These are pretty nice, do you know of any other sources for the chrome strips?
Pierce,
77 J10 360 4bbl, T18, D20, HEI, Holley carb, Performer intake, Thumpr Cam, headman headers, dual exhaust, auburn limited slip, hydroboost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vRyBFqnx0

Gilgar

Post by Gilgar »

I really like those door panels!
1989 GW
4" Skyjacker Lift
33" BFG MT K2's
ARB front and rear
Howell TBI

Topic author
Walter

Post by Walter »

Haven't thought of any other sources for the chrome/stainless strips. I just had them laying around since all of the carpet had been stripped from my cargo area before I got it. Seemed like a waste so I figured a way to use them. Of course you could look for a junker and rob the strips from it. If you did not mind an unfinished end you could use roof rack luggage strips as well. That would require cutting them to length and they would be wider and taller and may not look right on the panels. Otherwise you could buy flat bars of aluminum or stainless and cut them to length but they would not have the dressed down chamfered edges of the cargo area strips.

jeepguy77

New Interior Door Panels

Post by jeepguy77 »

I may have to try an see what other chrome may work.
Pierce,
77 J10 360 4bbl, T18, D20, HEI, Holley carb, Performer intake, Thumpr Cam, headman headers, dual exhaust, auburn limited slip, hydroboost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vRyBFqnx0