I hate plastic parts...... how do i bypass the tailgate switch

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

I hate plastic parts...... how do i bypass the tailgate switch

Post by candymancan »

The plastic lever that the keyed switch flips up and down on the tailgate is broken... no wonder my window doesnt work.

Thr motor works fine.. the aafety switch is fine.. but thid lever is broken i just took it all apart.

I have no money to buy a new switch... Is there anyway to bypass the brown wires in the tailgate so at least my button in the dash will work ??

Im tired if never beung able to roll this window down because of this broken plastic lever on the keyed switch...

Thanks..

Id upload pics but none kf the img upload websites like my phone for some reason.. did this for my s7 and s9+ and thiswebsite says the pics are too big.

So if anyone could help me before it gets dark id approtiate this.. thanks
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Re: I hate plastic parts...... how do i bypass the tailgate switch

Post by candymancan »

I actually found one in my junk pile... but its flip awitch is broken too... it wobbles and wont work.

Also when i try to get my switch to work.... my radio turns on when i turn the key to the down position and if i turn the key to off the radio turns off and i hear the chime beep beep the jeep does when i take the key out of the ignition..

Whats going on here ? How is power turning on like i have my key in the ignition when i turn the window swit h on the tailgate ??? This is weird man..

I think this might be related to my radio shutting off randomly when im driving...

I think ill disconnect power for this switch for now something aint right

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

do you mean the rocker switch for the tailgate lock? with a bit of fiddiling you can use any old window switch or go to NAPPA and buy a MARINE GRADE 3 position momentary toggle switch that is closed - open closed and swap it out easy peasy. the switch will be about 15 bucks
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Hmmm well i didnt know that so this is what i did. I took a screw and drilled through thr switch and screwed down the plastic arm so the contacts touch again.

Its too stiff to use the key now but since the switch is touching thr contacts i csn now use the dash switch lol.

Here is my ghetto fix. The zip ties are because my screw push the switch down too far so i had to use zip ties to push it back up.

It works lol costed me 0$ lol but ill look into that nappa switch so i can have my key working too.

Https://imgur.com/a/Iy1k8ht

https://imgur.com/Tvq31Hs

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I was going to suggest a 3 way toggle or momentary switch as well. They aren't that much and it's pretty dang easy to wire up. Of course, zip ties work too I guess!
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It wasnt just zip ties lol i drilled a hole into the bracket and put a screw into the plastic lever to hold it down.. since the levers nipple broke causing it to tilt up losing contact causing it to not work. Zip ties just helped push the switch up more

It turns with a scew driver in the hole lol but with a key its too stiff and not worth breaking the key lol. But at least it works on the dash. Atm im broke and have no money not even 15$ to spare so this should last me until i can find a job lol..