well crap.....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

well crap.....

Post by HowardT64 »

Was going to get the converter replaced today...but I cannot keep the Jeep running!! I dont know what has happened. Im stranded until I can get past this issue. When I first start it, it idles well...after a bit, it acts like it wants to die. If i lightly pump the pedal I can keep it going. I am at a loss, does anyone have any ideas?

I can PM my phone number if someone wants to call me with ideas...

frustrated :banghead: :banghead:
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Re: well crap.....

Post by letank »

What is the outside temp, may be too cold for the carb settings, otherwise put the trans in neutral to fill up the converter, sometimes it helps
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Check for vacuum leaks. All of the hoses
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I second the vacuum lines... I had one that kept coming out of the area behind the carb and again on the round filter by the washer fluid.

If it runs rough, but runs, vacuum. If it runs rough, give it gas and it dies, something with the fuel. Filter, lines and pump, in that order.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Check for vacuum leaks as the others suggest, but also make sure the choke is opening once it starts to warm up. Maybe its stuck closed.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Ill check the vacuum lines very closely. Is there a simplified vac diagram that shows how things should be hooked up WITHOUT the emissions acc? lll double check the lines and see if I missed something...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Did you change something before it stopped running? If not, just get it running, and then use some brake clean or the like and spray around vacuum line hookups, and listen for the idle change.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I wanted to simplify the hose situation under the hood...so much of it. I wanted to have it so that the brake booster, distributor and the heater/ vacuum line for the transfer case and nothing else. I think I goofed something up. Ill have to go back and re connect everything as per the vacuum diagram. Should not be too hard I did not remove any canisters or the like, just hoses.

I have seen the 360's without all the emissions stuff and they look very clean. All the emissions on mine is either shot or gone with only a couple of canisters left and a crap ton of lines.

Soon as it warms up some Ill put it back the way its supposed to be then do it right later...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

will e

Post by will e »

What you might do is plug all of the lines at the carb and manifold tree, except the PCV, and see if that 'fixes' your problem. Then you can methodically add each circuit back into place and check as each new connection is made.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

will e wrote:What you might do is plug all of the lines at the carb and manifold tree, except the PCV, and see if that 'fixes' your problem. Then you can methodically add each circuit back into place and check as each new connection is made.
This, I would bet that you left a vacuum port open somewhere. Find it and cap it. Try again. Usually that little sucker on the back passenger side of the carb. it's hard to see.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

That behavior suggests either excessive air (vacuum leak) or inadequate fuel. Pop the lid off the carburetor and see if there's any dirt or crud in the float bowl. Clean it out. With the engine running, try opening the idler mixture screws a few turns one at a time and then back to their original position. That may allow any dirt that has become lodged in the idle circuit to dislodge itself and restore correct fuel flow through the idle circuit.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yep, what they said. Dont put all the vacuum stuff back on but find all the open ports and plug them. My vehicles only use the PVC, distributor, brake boster and Power valve lines. Good luck

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I now have only the PCV valve, Master cylinder, and the distributor...hooked up to the vacuum. I will double check to make sure my 4WD is getting it too. Question is, should I adjust the timing now?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

I would suggest making no changes until after you have verified that the float bowl and idle circuits are clean.

Many a good-running vehicle has been hobbled by people removing components that weren't causing a problem. Before you introduce changes, make sure everything is working as designed.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have checked all I can...still will not run right. She simply will not stay running...im very frustrated and stranded :(
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

Sounds like time to cut your losses and hire a mechanic.

will e

Post by will e »

Get a cheap (or expensive) fuel pressure gauge, connected as close to the carb as you can. I have one with the gauge in the cab, absolutely love it. This won't fix your problem but will verify if it is a fuel delivery issue.