Courtesy lights acting strange

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Theodore

Courtesy lights acting strange

Post by Theodore »

So, we got the Jeep back after the transmission rebuild, and have noticed a weird behavior with the courtesy lights under the dash.

Was driving home from the Transmission shop in the dark, with nothing but the glow of the dash lights, when suddenly the courtesy lights came on, and stayed on for the duration of the ride home. We got home and they wouldnt turn off when I stopped the Jeep. And, stayed on when I opened and closed the door...

Our Grand Wagoneer is a 1990, with the wheel to control dash brightness, and on/off for courtesy lights. I played with that- nothing changed... it was late, so I disconnected the battery and gave up for the night.

Yesterday, I decide to take a look, and reconnected the battery, expecting the courtesy lights to be on. But, they werent. We took a run around town, messing with the switch, which seemed to work fine, when all of a sudden the lights came on by themselves, and I was unable turn them off with the switch. Hmm.

Went into a restaurant for 30 minutes or so, and when we returned, they were off...

Took another drive, and after a few minutes they came back on again. strange.

Came home and parked, turned off the car, they stayed on... locked up the Jeep and went inside. Set a 5 minute timer to go back out and check, and if on, disconnect the battery until I could get time to troubleshoot. They were off...

Not sure whats going on...

I am familiar with electricity, having rewired a few houses, but car wiring is still somewhat of a mystery to me. Any ideas what going on?

The funny thing is: we didnt see any of this behavior prior to the transmission rebuild, but I dont see what that has to do with this.

Thanks.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

mx71

Re: Courtesy lights acting strange

Post by mx71 »

This happened on my 79. Check the ground at the rear dome light, and the to make sure the wires aren't touching at the rear cargo dome light switch. That's what was going on with mine. You may blow the fuse while messing with it, so check that if the lights won't turn on afterwards.

will e

Post by will e »

Next time it happens try opening each door, one at a time, and pushing the switch in and out several times. You might find a culprit.

Like you I am also struggling to see a connection between this issue and the transmission.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Found it! Following recommendations from the forum, first checking the sunvisor connectors, then the domelight connector, then went door to door to check each door open indicator, and nothing... Then, I remembered mx71 mentioning the rear dome light... but, there were no wires past 1/2 way back, or so I thought.

Happened to see a wire tucked into the upper rail on the drivers side.

Ran over to the drivers side and pulled the wire, and BAM! Bare connectors... Found it!

Thanks mx71 & all who offered advice! Glad to have this irritating issue fixed. Negates the need to disconnect the battery after every evening after a drive.

Not sure whats going on - am unable to upload pictures via the img tag...

Edited to fix picture links; pix were not displaying
Last edited by Theodore on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Glad to hear you found it!