After transmission rebuild - Jeep runs like new!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Theodore

After transmission rebuild - Jeep runs like new!

Post by Theodore »

Hey, all - it has been a while. Had to put the project on hold for a few weeks to save money for a transmission rebuild. Turns out the trip over the mountain back in November to get a Christmas tree, appeared to have blown out transmission seals, such that it went from leaking a quarter-sized drop in the driveway to bleeding like crazy.

So, rather than moving forward with suspension changes to return the Wagoneer to stock height, we are working to getting rid of leaks.

Previously, we had used a local Jeep shop that had done a lot of work for the previous owner, including the installation of the engine and fuel injection kit. We continued to use the shop due to the history, but decided to change shops after the Wagoneer returned after a rear-end rebuild there, with one of the differential cover bolts broken off, and the shop would not stand by the work.

Our new shop is more of a traditional garage, and is one of few shops in the area that rebuilds transmissions on site, not to mention my brother works there, so I feel I can trust the work. While doing the transmission work, they found a few additional issues that gave us pause, such that we definitely will not be using the local Jeep shop anymore...
1. There were only 2 bolts holding the transmission to the block; 4 were missing...
2. Kick down cable was connected, but not adjusted correctly. We had not driven enough on the highway to figure out there was no passing gear.
3. Rpms for gear changes were not calibrated correctly... Was changing from 1st to 2nd at 15mph and 2nd to 3rd at 25mph. Had noticed sluggishness, but had not noticed the gear changes were off.

Now that the transmission is rebuilt - it is like a new vehicle! Could not believe the difference it made.

Old Jeep ownership is definitely a learning experience - thanks for all the help/advice here. As we had mentioned before, we mainly got the Wagoneer due to its no-rust body, and thought we would go thru things as we needed to.

Next on the list is:
- power steering gearbox is leaking
- Dynamat installed as we go
- Headliner, visor & overhead console restoration - they are out now - want it back in before it gets damaged sitting around the garage
- Suspension returned to stock from 3in lift
- Tires
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

tgreese

Re: After transmission rebuild - Jeep runs like new!

Post by tgreese »

Woohoo!
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

That's great news. It's always awesome when you get something major done and there is a noticeable difference. These old three speed auto are good transmissions and it should last a long time if you take care of it, keep the temps down and change the fluid.

Oh, that reminds me... when was the last time I changed my fluid? haha. I run a 727 and put a slightly deeper pan in it and added a drain plug. I should put all of that to good use.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

“3. Rpms for gear changes were not calibrated correctly... Was changing from 1st to 2nd at 15mph and 2nd to 3rd at 25mph. Had noticed sluggishness, but had not noticed the gear changes were off.“

Depending on the gear/axle ratio 3.31 or 2.73:

At what RPM or at what SPEED should the 727 transmission (stock rims/wheels size) in our Grand Wagoneer
change from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd?

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

flashgordon wrote:“3. Rpms for gear changes were not calibrated correctly... Was changing from 1st to 2nd at 15mph and 2nd to 3rd at 25mph. Had noticed sluggishness, but had not noticed the gear changes were off.“

Depending on the gear/axle ratio 3.31 or 2.73:

At what RPM or at what SPEED should the 727 transmission (stock rims/wheels size) in our Grand Wagoneer
change from 1st to 2nd and then to 3rd?
Mine is 2.73s and it changes sooner than that. Like 10 mph and 20 mph. Barely can feel it change. Very soft shifts.

A good shift kit would make it firmer along with adjusting shift points for power on rural road hills, but isn't high on my to-do list.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD