I just got "Lucky"!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

I just got "Lucky"!

Post by deckroid »

I am one of the "Lucky 100" going to the 2019 JP Magazine Dirt n Drive.

I am still a bit giddy from the email, but reality is setting my brain on fire with the "to-do" list. I am calling BJS on Mon/Tues to order a lift kit as the one the PO installed is really sub par. He put in a 3-4 in lift in the front and SOA blocks in the rear. Speed bumps, rocks, washboard, railroad tracks, cattle guards, etc etc are a nightmare no matter the speed. BDS, from what I have read, seems to be the best bet. Some like Skyjacker, some like Rusty's or Rough Country... I know... That's why they call it "Opinion".... everyone's is valid, but mine is more valid. :D

Anyone have some good tips to installing these things without a lift? I have watched the Hooniverse video as well as others with different rigs and they all seem to do things a little different. I think this will be the most extensive thing I have done to my Jeep.

Next is the muffler. I have noticed a slight more throaty sound as I drive and when it's cold and I start her up, exhaust leaks galore. And sitting at a long light can get a little... stuffy, let's say... Better Midasize it...

Then, of course, is the tune up. Plugs, points, belts, dee-dads and doo-dahs.

And after all THAT comes a roof rack. I keep looking at Craigslist but nothing in my area so far. I don't want to spend $100 for the crappy one that Cabela's sells but at the same time I don't want to spend $500 bucks for the Yakima one either. I want a simple basket style roof rack that is 60+ inches without breaking the bank. I would love to weld one myself, but I have no skills nor welder to do so... I want to put the full size spare up there as well as one or two 5 gallon jugs of go-go juice.

Now I am beginning to think of extra parts to bring along in case of disaster... starter, fuel pump, fuel filters, vacuum line, alternator, 2 spare heads, a complete replacement engine!?!?!?!?! Gaaaa....

Anyway... I am going on a trip to the desert and gonna have fun! Pics will be coming... I swear.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: I just got "Lucky"!

Post by Stuka »

Congrats!

You will be fine with a BDS. I am one of the ones that think Skyjacker builds the best FSJ lift, but nothing wrong with BDS. I have never used a lift to install a lift kit. I would advise having two floor jacks, makes it much easier if you have one jack for each side of the axle.

For exhaust, you will have to go to an exhaust shop. There is no bolt on kits.

I would advise going over your cooling system. The desert is a harsh place.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Congrats on getting selected, that’s awesome!
As for tips... start spraying everything with penetrating oil NOW and often until you start the lift. The rear springs at the shackle end can be especially a PITA. I mix up ATF and acetone as a penetrating fluid. If your new kit comes with new Ubolts, save some hassle and just cut the old ones off if they fight you. +2 on Skyjacker as my Waggy rides nice on 4”s. I have BDS on the scrambler and they are not bad either. I’d suggest Bilstein shocks.
Can’t wait to see the article in JP with you scootin’ around.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Bottle jack and 2x4 helped me tremendously to get the bolts in the eye holes on my first time ever skyjacker lift kit install.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Thanks for the tips. This morning I sprayed all the bolts/nuts with PB Blaster. Did anyone have any issues with the hidden nut on the rear driver's side? I read some have issues, others dont. I must have done something horrendous in a past life because I have crap karma this go around... if there are 1,000 ways to do it right and 1 wrong, I always get it wrong. I don't really want to drop the gas tank, but if I gotta, I gotta. I will just make sure I have about a quarter tank before I start the job... :-D
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Most people not in the south west end up having to pull the tank to get to that hidden nut. So, be prepared for it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I had a harder time putting on the hidden nut. Nobody explained that part where it’s on a spring like clip so I thought that I broke it off when I didn’t actually. I was just pressing it out and couldn’t feel if it it was gripping. Has to be perfectly straight. I think it’s welded on the inside frame on older ones pre 85 or something though.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.