brake pads - where do these clips go?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
44bz

brake pads - where do these clips go?

Post by 44bz »

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
44bz

Re: brake pads - where do these clips go?

Post by 44bz »

I think the longer clip goes on the inside pad and presses into the piston, but what about the smaller clip?
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Correct on the large clip. The part with the l shaped piece goes to the top and sits inside the piston.Used to stop the shoes from rattling once they get wear.Not sure about the small one but can find out,got buddy that does brakes for a living.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

BCRAWLER wrote:Correct on the large clip. The part with the l shaped piece goes to the top and sits inside the piston.Used to stop the shoes from rattling once they get wear.Not sure about the small one but can find out,got buddy that does brakes for a living.
Thanks. The small clip came in the box with the pads, there are two of them - one for each side I assume, but I can't figure where it goes...

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I've never seen the smaller clip before. Maybe it's for a different caliper and they put both clips in there just because? Kind of like the two pan gaskets you get with a 727 trans filter because the same filter fits two different transmissions?
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

FSJ Guy wrote:I've never seen the smaller clip before. Maybe it's for a different caliper and they put both clips in there just because? Kind of like the two pan gaskets you get with a 727 trans filter because the same filter fits two different transmissions?
That's an idea. The larger clip actually came with the caliper and the smaller clip came with the pads. The outer pad has holes in it that the pins slide through, but there isn't really anything holding it tight to the side of caliper. Is that right?

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

Isn't the small clip used as a wear indicator which creates a audible when it makes contact with the rotor?
1979 Wagoneer

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

never mind. The wear indicator is visible on the right end of the above brake pad. I can't recall what the small clip is used for.
1979 Wagoneer

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

The purpose of the small clip is to make people ask questions.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I have never used the little clip, but I believe that it comes with the pads to use as a shim between the big clip and the inside pad if you're old big clips loose there springiness too much to firmly grab the pad. What's kinda funny though, is that the last time I bought Duralast Gold pads, it came with both....so I could be wrong.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

REDONE wrote:.

I have never used the little clip, but I believe that it comes with the pads to use as a shim between the big clip and the inside pad if you're old big clips loose there springiness too much to firmly grab the pad. What's kinda funny though, is that the last time I bought Duralast Gold pads, it came with both....so I could be wrong.
Well everything is new and the inner pad seems pretty snug with just the larger clip holding it to the piston. I have the caliper bolts running through the outer pad at either end, but there isn't anything holding the outer pad tightly to the caliper. It kinda flops around, is that right?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Hang on, I thought the outer pad hooked around the caliper body while the inner pad rode the pins. I could be remembering wrong so I'mma go look real quick.
Grizzly Locker Rear

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Sorry for the delay, had to walk the dogs and change out of my sleepin' thong. Went and looked and I obviously need to finish my coffee. The inner pad (against the piston) hooks onto the caliper body. The outer pad floats on the pins.
Grizzly Locker Rear

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

44bz wrote:

Well everything is new and the inner pad seems pretty snug with just the larger clip holding it to the piston. I have the caliper bolts running through the outer pad at either end, but there isn't anything holding the outer pad tightly to the caliper. It kinda flops around, is that right?
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

serehill wrote:
44bz wrote:

If your big clip loses it's retention it's simply time for as new clip. It is not the scraper as it can be seen on the bottom of the pad. Every Pad I ever installed yhat were GM styled which is many had nothing on the outside. I've seen many with clips on th eoutside but not these. Some did have a little sticky tape to stick on them to keep them from rattling but those were on Fords. Once the pad is in place & bolted up against the rotor it isn't going anywhere.

It won't flop around when in place.

There are so many variences clips applications of different pads etc. This is a good reference & there can be many more found like this. this system just has the one.

http://www.sanjuan.edu/webpages/jasonke ... n%20TB.pdf

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
44bz

Post by 44bz »

REDONE wrote:Sorry for the delay, had to walk the dogs and change out of my sleepin' thong. Went and looked and I obviously need to finish my coffee. The inner pad (against the piston) hooks onto the caliper body. The outer pad floats on the pins.
Wow :shock: Thanks for checkin though. So I think I have it set up correctly, from what you (Redone) and Serehil are saying. I guess I didn't realize the the outer pad rests against the rotor, which is why I was thinking it should secure to the caliper. I have the outer pad floating on the pins and there's a bracket on the pad that rests on the caliper (open side), you can see it in the pic I posted. Gonna get it all bolted up today, hopefully :-bd

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Good deal

Get R dun

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch