New to FSJ, not new to Jeeps

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
THase89

New to FSJ, not new to Jeeps

Post by THase89 »

Morning FSJ Crew,

New to the forum looking for some insight. After reading in here and the other sight which takes years to get approved it seems, I have some questions. I’m going to look at a ‘78 WT Cherokee Chief. 360, QT, TH400 with 69k miles. It needs floor pans, has some rust in the rockers and rear tail gate. Listed as “Needing a tune up but runs and drives fine.” Price is right, and I’ve always wanted a FSJ. It’ll be more of a mild trail rig, hunting and fishing toy than a full blown DD. With that said, what other areas should I inspect. I assume the frame, but what area on the frame does it like to crack / rust? I know about the electrical gremlins and such (I think anyway..)

I’m mechanically inclined. Built a CJ5 trail rig with a 4.3 swap that I just sold (3rd child and no space sucks in a Jeep) and also build a 13 Rubicon JKU (also now gone). If building one counts as it’s all bolt on with those things..

Looking forward to chatting with you all,
Tristan

tgreese

Re: New to FSJ, not new to Jeeps

Post by tgreese »

Welcome from sunny Boston.

I'd suggest you read up about the Quadratrac first. http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/index.htm
Main liability is the chain. It drives both front and rear wheels, and wears out some time between 50K and 100K miles. Not cheap to replace. Lots to read if you search old posts here and at IFSJA.

Rotted floors is really common. The only frame issue that comes to mind is that lifted vehicles tend to rip the rear spring mount of the front springs off the frame. You can find examples of that here and at IFSJA.

Check the hot idle oil pressure. Another well-discussed topic in old posts. "Needs a tune-up" says burnt exhaust valve to me, but maybe not. People always sell cars for a reason.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

Check for rusted frame around the gas tank.
Welcome to the board!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

will e wrote:Check for rusted frame around the gas tank.
Welcome to the board!
Good to check, but should not be a problem on a '78. The '80-on wagons have a plastic gas tank that's supported by the skid plate. Debris gets betewwn the tank, frame and skid plate and rots the frame in the area below the driver's door. Somehow I think the earlier wagons have an opening between the optional skid plate and the frame, and they don't rot like the wagons with the plastic tank.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

will e

Post by will e »

tgreese wrote:
will e wrote:Check for rusted frame around the gas tank.
Welcome to the board!
Good to check, but should not be a problem on a '78. The '80-on wagons have a plastic gas tank that's supported by the skid plate. Debris gets betewwn the tank, frame and skid plate and rots the frame in the area below the driver's door. Somehow I think the earlier wagons have an opening between the optional skid plate and the frame, and they don't rot like the wagons with the plastic tank.
I was not aware of that, good to know!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
THase89

Post by THase89 »

Thanks for the tips fellas. Much appreciated. And as far as the Quadra track goes, it’ll only be in for a year or so. I’m a fan on two sticks I control :)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

THase89 wrote:Thanks for the tips fellas. Much appreciated. And as far as the Quadra track goes, it’ll only be in for a year or so. I’m a fan on two sticks I control :)
Worth mentioning that manual transmission examples are out there. Would make things easier, if that's what you want.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.