Kinda urgent question for brake line adaptors and flaring

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Kinda urgent question for brake line adaptors and flaring

Post by candymancan »

This isnt wagoneer related but i need help before i leave alabama to virginia.. Im working on my brothers camaro.. Visiting for christmas to nesr years

He bought a aerospace brake set for the front. calipers rotors. pads. brake lines. Its been sitting in his closet for a year so i offered to install them.

The problem im having is the damn metal braided brake line adaptor doesnt fit on the stock adaptor on the camaros hard line. He called the company and i talked to the lead engineer and he said the brake lines supploed dont fit the 5th gen camaro hard lines so i had to cut the flair off... Get a 3/8, 24, 3/16 male adaptor which will fit.

Okay... i got nasty on the phone why sell brakes for 5th gen camaros and include brake lines with adapters that dont fit lol.

So i had to buy a line cutter and double flare kit and the male adapters. Cut the old flair off going up only 1 mm so i didnt cut alot of brake line off.. The new male plug wouldnt go on the brake line... Gm put plastic.tar coatings on the brake lines so i had to file it all off carefully.. Put the adaptor on.. and it wont go past the curve in the line and i had no room for the flaring kit.

So talking to more (engineers) they said to shorten the male adaptor.... Which didnt make sense to me because if i cut the end off the male adaptor, the double flare wont rest inside the adaptors groove .. Itll just sit right on the end of the adaptor (outside) of it.. if that makes sense ? You know how the male adaptors have a cutout inside where the double flair rests inside.

So frustrated i cut 1.2 an inch off the male adapter leaving enough to fully tighten it in the female end of course. And i double flared the end.. and like i thought the double flare sits on the outside of the male adapter...

Frustrated even more after being on it for 9 hours... I put some plumbers tape on all the lines ( i do this for any metal line with no gasket) and tightend them down and bled the brakes. It doesnt leak anywhere. So am i safe to assume the double flare sitting outside on the male end having no groove to mold into on the adaptor is ok ?.

I just dont want him racing this camaro hitting his brakes and dying.. There is no other way to get this fitting on Gm left no room for a new adaptor and to flare the end.. Its litterally millimeters i was working with..

Doesnt leak even if i slam on the brakes hard in the garage so i m thinking its ok.. but i need your opinions because ill have to do this to the other end as well....
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Mustang Shooter

Re: Kinda urgent question for brake line adaptors and flaring

Post by Mustang Shooter »

Candymancan,
Can you post a few pics of what is going on?
I've installed some brake kits on HotRods and muscle cars we've done but, not familiar with the Gen 5 Camaros.
I've had to modify inverted flare to -3 braided fittings before and made sure there were at least half of the thread left.
I always use permatex hydraulic thread sealant on my fittings.
Dan

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, a photo would help if you can get one.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

20181228_120100.jpg
I didnt take pics my brother did ill ask him to text mem to me when he gets back from his appointment.

Basically i made a double flare right.. And this is the male adapter i was told to get in the attachment. red is about how far i cut it down to. blue is that rounded groove a double flair normally fits in.. since its cut off the flair rests right on the flat end of the bolt.adapter i cut at the red line if that makes sense ?

I did the drivers side last night. No leaks either... the passenger side leaked through the tubing out the end of the bolt.. so i tightend it more and it stopped. We test drove it a little hitting the brakes and no leaks. So i assume its going to be ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Sounds like you did it the best that you could. Typically the flares won’t ever leak once they are sealed. No rubber or anything to degrade over time. Have him keep an eye on it for a while, but should be ok.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Little update... Its been about 2 weeks almost and he said it still isnt leaking.. So phew... lol glad that worked.

Mustang Shooter

Post by Mustang Shooter »

Cool!