Wrenching rant thread

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Wrenching rant thread

Post by dodgerammit »

Figured I'd just blow off little steam and give you peeps a place to rant about your wrenching forays of frustration. I'll start off:

So, one item of maintenance that has been on my to-do list for a while has been replacing the heater hoses on Radio Flyer. I already have done the radiator, the main hoses and thermostat a couple years ago.

I've had the replacements in the back of the Waggy for 3 months, just haven't had the time to tackle the job.

So, this weekend was the time-before Murphy made me have to do it in the middle of a freak blizzard-in white out conditions- at 17* below 0- with a Mariachi band playing beside me. :D

Figured I'd tackle the hardest spot first. The clamp on the water pump, behind the alternator bracket.

Some idiot at the AMC factory thought it would be cute to position the clamp where the worm screw would be completely inaccessible directly behind the alternator bracket.

Insert long-winded, profanity-laced tirade about doing sadistic acts on said factory employee......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

After a bunch of Nope-not gonna work attempts with various tools, I resort to two options. Remove alternator bracket and potentially destroy water pump gasket, thus causing me to decide-"Welp, while I'm at it, might as well replace every ****ing thing" (water pump, gasket, fan clutch-cause that will be off as well, inspect timing cover-etc, etc)..... :banghead:

Or break out the dremel and notch the alternator bracket to access head of screw clamp (head was just under edge of triangle opening of bracket).

One ****ing hour and 15 ****ing minutes later, I had a notch cut, the clamp loosened, old hose removed, and finally had the new hose pushed into place. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Talk about a ****ing tight spot to shove a heater hose through. Not to mention the water pump fitting being at a different angle than the space you have to shove the hose through above the alternator. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Forty-five (yes, just forty-five) minutes later, I had the other three clamps off, the hoses broke loose, the new hoses in place, the radiator refilled, the antifreeze washed off of the motor, tools put away, the Jeep at operating temps verifying no leaks, and was putting away my tools.

One hour and fifteen minutes because of some inept factory line worker installing the clamp in the ONE SINGLE position it should have never been installed in! :x

Any way. Rant over. Jeep is good to go. No worries about Murphy and a heater hose issue when I really don't need it. About to cook some loaded smashed potatoes for Christmas with the family. Three get-togethers the next couple of days. Life could be worse.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Re: Wrenching rant thread

Post by letank »

I am doing a major work, and noticed exactly the same f...d up position on an unmolested 86, oem hoses, still has the built up date on it 1986... in my case no problemos... everything has been pulled out... merry xmas
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Cannot count how many clamps I have cut off over the years just because of this. Might have a scrap metal run if I had kept them.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

My wrenching rant involves fueling issues... currently two edlebrock 1406's, several fuel pumps, and still. My last was a choke adjustment. The adjustment screw under the idle screw was holding choke open and made it run like crap under load. So hopefully now I'll be better off. Testing in the next few weeks... wish me luck.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

letank wrote:I am doing a major work, and noticed exactly the same f...d up position on an unmolested 86, oem hoses, still has the built up date on it 1986... in my case no problemos... everything has been pulled out... merry xmas
Yeah. We should find out who was working this position and beat them. Or pee on their grave if they are gone. :D

Otherwise, how is your cam swap going?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

letank

Post by letank »

dodgerammit wrote: Otherwise, how is your cam swap going?
That is another rant too, first cam, the Edelbrock performer 278/288 did not specs as the described note on the summit website "idle to 5500 rpm", cam card lists 1200-5500 rpm, so I returned it, then I ordered a comp cam 260/260, arrived the next day, pretty fast, looked at it, rust spot on the #1 journal, try to clean it, the metal is damaged.... returned it. Going for another vendor on ebay for the melling MTA1 280/289 (claims smooth idle), cheaper, I already have the lifters, of course with ebay and the holidays, it may take a while.

At least as they say while I am at it... when I started to replace the lifters, I told myself, hummm, the water pump is only a few bolts, then I may as well do the timing chain (of course now it has to be swapped)... and the radiator, the engine stayed within the cold normal side even idling in 90F this summer... but then it is so rusty and the tubes show some deposits, the condenser has to be removed... and yes, I knew that the AC did not work -compressor is frozen, time for a sanden- and upon removal the condenser show a large oily sprayed pattern...
Michel

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Well, its not exactly FSJ related but I'll chime and rant about my stupid MJ issues as of late. I have spent the last two months dealing with the french f**ktard design of a Renix Jeep. Fuel pump goes bad. Replaced pump. Disturbed the sender. Sender leaked like crazy. Spent my 10 day vacation stuck home after the 2nd day because I spent the remaining 8 calling all over the country for a sending unit that isn't available anymore new and used ones are rotted worse than mine. Finally ended up modifying a XJ sending unit to work. Got it together, all good...for now. A few days driving again and then it sat another week waiting for a starter to show up since no one local stocks ANY godd@mn thing for this truck. Finally get it all good. Run another week or so and now the idle is all over the place. It has the 2.5TBI with that stepper motor setup. Adjusting has been a nightmare to the point I am dealing with it for now since my high tech Snap On brick won't connect to the trucks computer. Have you ever adjust one of those? Yeeeeeaaah...whatever dipsh!t invented that setup should be bludgeoned with a crankshaft.
On a positive note, the wife and I just put christmas gifts under the tree a few minutes ago and at least three to me from "Mrs Clause" felt like they contained things that were heavy and iron. Merry Jeepmas
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

letank wrote:
dodgerammit wrote: Otherwise, how is your cam swap going?
That is another rant too, first cam, the Edelbrock performer 278/288 did not specs as the described note on the summit website "idle to 5500 rpm", cam card lists 1200-5500 rpm, so I returned it, then I ordered a comp cam 260/260, arrived the next day, pretty fast, looked at it, rust spot on the #1 journal, try to clean it, the metal is damaged.... returned it. Going for another vendor on ebay for the melling MTA1 280/289 (claims smooth idle), cheaper, I already have the lifters, of course with ebay and the holidays, it may take a while.

At least as they say while I am at it... when I started to replace the lifters, I told myself, hummm, the water pump is only a few bolts, then I may as well do the timing chain (of course now it has to be swapped)... and the radiator, the engine stayed within the cold normal side even idling in 90F this summer... but then it is so rusty and the tubes show some deposits, the condenser has to be removed... and yes, I knew that the AC did not work -compressor is frozen, time for a sanden- and upon removal the condenser show a large oily sprayed pattern...
Isn't it funny (in an aggravating and expensive way) how things snowball with that mentality of "Well, while I'm at it..."

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Phils67 wrote:Well, its not exactly FSJ related but I'll chime and rant about my stupid MJ issues as of late. I have spent the last two months dealing with the french f**ktard design of a Renix Jeep. Fuel pump goes bad. Replaced pump. Disturbed the sender. Sender leaked like crazy. Spent my 10 day vacation stuck home after the 2nd day because I spent the remaining 8 calling all over the country for a sending unit that isn't available anymore new and used ones are rotted worse than mine. Finally ended up modifying a XJ sending unit to work. Got it together, all good...for now. A few days driving again and then it sat another week waiting for a starter to show up since no one local stocks ANY godd@mn thing for this truck. Finally get it all good. Run another week or so and now the idle is all over the place. It has the 2.5TBI with that stepper motor setup. Adjusting has been a nightmare to the point I am dealing with it for now since my high tech Snap On brick won't connect to the trucks computer. Have you ever adjust one of those? Yeeeeeaaah...whatever dipsh!t invented that setup should be bludgeoned with a crankshaft.
On a positive note, the wife and I just put christmas gifts under the tree a few minutes ago and at least three to me from "Mrs Clause" felt like they contained things that were heavy and iron. Merry Jeepmas
Haha! This is exactly the reason I don't own anything new. My newest vehicle is 18 years old.

letank

Post by letank »

Phils67 wrote: now the idle is all over the place. It has the 2.5TBI with that stepper motor setup. Adjusting has been a nightmare to the point I am dealing with it for now since my high tech Snap On brick won't connect to the trucks computer. Have you ever adjust one of those? Yeeeeeaaah...whatever dipsh!t invented that setup should be bludgeoned with a crankshaft.
naxja.org, has a very good renix thread, not difficult, it is a different way of doing things. I used to have a renix 2.5 tbi... the only issue was the cps, it went bad at 198Kmiles...
Merry jeepmas

EDIT: one of the numerous the naxja thread "ecomike" is one of the expert

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1072534

or this one for the high idle

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905849
Michel

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Gumby wrote:My wrenching rant involves fueling issues... currently two edlebrock 1406's
there's the problem. The edelbrock performer carbs are not the best. They are simply Carter AFBs with a different name. The Carter AFB came out in 1957 there were many carbs that came later that were better. Carter had the avs and thermoquad, the holley 4160 and its derivitives, and the quadrajet. All are much more refined than the AFB just a little harder to tune.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

This is minor, and not FSJ, but I replaced the exhaust on my JK a while back. When they are assembled at the factory the full drive train and exhaust are installed without a body on the frame. All bolts are don'e from the top. This includes the exhausts bolts. So, naturally once you add a body on top, the only thing you can get onto the exhaust bolts is a small box wrench. Thankfully I don't live in the rust belt, but even then it was incredibly hard to get loose.

And I know what you are thinking, why not just cut the clamp off? Well, the clamp is tack-welded to the pipe, and no way to get a saws-all in to where the clamp bolt was. So eventually got it, bug had some busted knuckles afterwards.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

kansasboy001 wrote:
Gumby wrote:My wrenching rant involves fueling issues... currently two edlebrock 1406's
there's the problem. The edelbrock performer carbs are not the best. They are simply Carter AFBs with a different name. The Carter AFB came out in 1957 there were many carbs that came later that were better. Carter had the avs and thermoquad, the holley 4160 and its derivitives, and the quadrajet. All are much more refined than the AFB just a little harder to tune.
Indeed there is a good swap thread on the mothership comparing Edel to Holley

Ristow's Holley 4548 vs. My Edelbrock 1405 Shoot-Out

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=154789
Michel

az chip

Post by az chip »

I hate brake lines.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

az chip wrote:I hate brake lines.

#metoo :lol:

Especially hate rusted brake lines.