blocking off exhaust cross-over on intake manifold

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
letank

blocking off exhaust cross-over on intake manifold

Post by letank »

So while I am changing the intake manifold gasket, the mind got grinding, the exhaust cross over is probably one of the reason for our vapor lock issues... is it possible to block them with a little piece welded in place...

So before making a fool of myself, I giggle it... and it is even better, edelbrock has the matching port blocks, and a lot of postings... of course this is for a off-road vehicle only, or one that is not on the biennal emission check

Need to find the right size???

or

http://theamcforum.com/forum/blocking-t ... 31481.html

and of course the heat riser need to be hacked...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: blocking off exhaust cross-over on intake manifold

Post by Stuka »

That is pretty cool. Doesn't even need to be welded in place, gasket will hold it in. Or you could just put a performer intake on and get rid of it entirely :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Ive wondered the same and now I know that they make a part. However, IDK which ones your need--maybe by year of the heads?

will e

Post by will e »

Well that's handy. The crossover is kinda pointless here in Arizona.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

rocklaurence wrote:Ive wondered the same and now I know that they make a part. However, IDK which ones your need--maybe by year of the heads?
list for intake #2131, no other listing on dabay or summit... I might try to get it for testing... as soon as I disable the heat riser, If I can get the nuts off the exhaust manifold
Michel

babywag

Post by babywag »

Stuka wrote:That is pretty cool. Doesn't even need to be welded in place, gasket will hold it in. Or you could just put a performer intake on and get rid of it entirely :)
Performer still has the crossover, even Torker I have on shelf has crossover.
I've seen folks just use sheet metal or pieces of old valley pan to block them. A parts wag I bought had this done and there was no evidence of leaking when I pulled the intake to sell it.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

babywag wrote:
Stuka wrote:That is pretty cool. Doesn't even need to be welded in place, gasket will hold it in. Or you could just put a performer intake on and get rid of it entirely :)
Performer still has the crossover, even Torker I have on shelf has crossover.
I've seen folks just use sheet metal or pieces of old valley pan to block them. A parts wag I bought had this done and there was no evidence of leaking when I pulled the intake to sell it.
So, before I commented that, I looked up an image of the performer for an AMC. However, relooking now, it wasn't an AMC intake :( So yeah, it does have the cross over.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

I was reading the reviews on summit, and most people said that a lot grinding is needed, also if the piece becomes loose, it might become noisy, so a litlle tack welding should be considered

https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/e ... -edelbrock

David Sept 2015
They quality is there however if you plan on using them on a small block you better have the grinder ready. It does say they are for big blocks in the application guide so I can't really give a bad review here. I had to remove almost a third of the material to get it to fit but it's the only game in town for crossover block offs but if your an olds guy like me your used to slim pickins.

Blake Apr 2018
I installed these on a used aluminum 460 edelbrock performer intake that I had acquired used. Upon further inspection I noticed a hairline crack in the crossover. It was suggested to me that I plug the crossover as I live in a warmer climate and don't necessarily need it's benefits. The plugs were considerably larger than the crossover. But I knew that would be the case walking into this. About 45 min to shape the first one... and about 25 min on the second once my confidence was there. Used an electric angle grinder and pneumatic die grinder, sharpie, and calipers... and patience. They do what they are suppose to do. Just be ready to do some shaping on your end.

Nolan Apr 2018
They are better than nothing, Have to grind a lot off to fit olds 455 heads. If the come loose it will sound like knock. I would recommend welding or even tacking them in place with some nickle welding rod.
Michel

babywag

Post by babywag »

letank wrote:I was reading the reviews on summit, and most people said that a lot grinding is needed, also if the piece becomes loose, it might become noisy, so a litlle tack welding should be considered

https://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts/e ... -edelbrock

David Sept 2015
They quality is there however if you plan on using them on a small block you better have the grinder ready. It does say they are for big blocks in the application guide so I can't really give a bad review here. I had to remove almost a third of the material to get it to fit but it's the only game in town for crossover block offs but if your an olds guy like me your used to slim pickins.

Blake Apr 2018
I installed these on a used aluminum 460 edelbrock performer intake that I had acquired used. Upon further inspection I noticed a hairline crack in the crossover. It was suggested to me that I plug the crossover as I live in a warmer climate and don't necessarily need it's benefits. The plugs were considerably larger than the crossover. But I knew that would be the case walking into this. About 45 min to shape the first one... and about 25 min on the second once my confidence was there. Used an electric angle grinder and pneumatic die grinder, sharpie, and calipers... and patience. They do what they are suppose to do. Just be ready to do some shaping on your end.

Nolan Apr 2018
They are better than nothing, Have to grind a lot off to fit olds 455 heads. If the come loose it will sound like knock. I would recommend welding or even tacking them in place with some nickle welding rod.
I'd just use the sheetmetal method.
If using an aluminum intake you can buy aluminum solder (kinda spendy) but cheaper than what some shops want to weld the holes shut.
I get the gotta pay employees deal, but some of the quick/simple/easy stuff I've inquired about got some insane & laughable quotes on around here.
Be cheaper to buy a spool gun for my welder and DIY
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

babywag wrote:
letank wrote:
I'd just use the sheetmetal method.
If using an aluminum intake you can buy aluminum solder (kinda spendy) but cheaper than what some shops want to weld the holes shut.
I get the gotta pay employees deal, but some of the quick/simple/easy stuff I've inquired about got some insane & laughable quotes on around here.
Be cheaper to buy a spool gun for my welder and DIY
100% for the sheetmetal method.

and yes a welder is on my shopping list, as well as a camshaft
Michel