Washer pump... ugh.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Washer pump... ugh.

Post by deckroid »

Here is something odd.

My washer fluid pump went on the fritz. I could fill the tank and not use it, and it would never leak. The first time I pumped something through it, however, the tank would be emptied by a million drips of window cleaner. Now, while I like the look of the BJ's all aluminum tank, with pump, I can't justify that price, as my tank is in really good shape for being 34 years old. So, I opted for a replacement pump.

The first one they wanted to sell me didn't look like a pump, more like a vacuum relay. Huh. So, let's try again. This time it looked like mine, alright, but had a 90 degree bend where it connects to the tank. Sort of like the old Asthma inhalers. Strike 2.

Then we found the right one. Got it yesterday. I had pulled the old one out to show the Napa Guy what I was looking for. I have learned to go to this particular Napa for this particular Guy cuz he will look beyond what's on the screen and not just say, "naw, we aint got none" then just look at you. Anyway, when I picked it up, I had the resevoir ... resivoir... reservoir (god, I hate spelling french words) and mated up the pump to the ... tank. It "kinda" fit. It wiggled a bit. Even with the new rubber washer. Tested and yup, it leaked. We both couldn't figure how to put the locking ring back on the pump without ripping open the tank. The instructions that came with the new pump urged us to use a 7/8 deep socket inside the tank, holding the locking ring in place as we slowly pushed the new pump through the hole. Uh huh. After 15 to 20 minutes of both of us trying and failing I bought some clear caulk. I said one way or another this is gonna get the job done.

I got home, put some caulk around the hole, installed the new grommet, caulked that up a bit, then put some on the pump itself, installed that thru the grommet and caulked a little more around the whole thing. Guess what? Redneck Engineering sometimes works wonders. No leaks.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Washer pump... ugh.

Post by Stuka »

The old tanks tend to warp over time, hard to get seals on them. They also like to crack if you look at them wrong :(

And yeah, the aluminum tank is cool, but I like to be able to see how much fluid is in it without removing the cap and looking. Somebody here had found a newer model car that has one that fits in the stock location, but would have to dig for it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

mx71

Post by mx71 »

I wrapped my new pump with electrical tape then shoved it through.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

What year/model/equipment? I made some minor mods to my J20 washer that may be relevant.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.