Members 'Required' to buy from group vendors?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Members 'Required' to buy from group vendors?

Post by Fast79Chief »

I want to explore this issue that seems to be confusing for some of us. As a member here, are we in some way obligated or expected to make all of our purchases for Jeep related parts from the list of vendors associated with this site?

IS this a requirement of membership?

I just want to know the answer to this question so that I am not in any 'violation' with the groups rules. I know that there are very strong 'ties' that key members and Administrators have with the listed vendors ... and I see that as their business ... but is it a 'global' expectation that we are to patronize ONLY those vendors?

Thanks very much for the answers here.

Fast79Chief
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Members 'Required' to buy from group vendors?

Post by Stuka »

NO.

If YOU are selling things, then they should be posted in the Vendors area, or one of the for sale areas.

THERE ARE NO TIES between members and some other vendors like you keep stating (With the exception of accounts that are run by those vendors). People can buy from who ever or whatever vendor they want, from here or anywhere.

In your previous post, you stated that you wanted people to private message you for details on a product. This is not something that I want here. If its a third party website, list the website in the post. There is zero reason somebody should have to private message a user to get a website address.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Thanks for clearing that up stuka. It seems from the tone of your response to me ... that this is a sensitive subject. I also sensed that when I would list where I got some parts (often) in the past, that certain members (to go unnamed) would make an effort to INSERT an unsolicited 'advertisement' for this vendor or that one that THEY preferred, into my posts. I feel this is very inappropriate and designed specifically to feather their own nest with that vendor, and possibly dissuade a group member from exploring other options that are out there. It's not often we find aftermarket parts still available for these vehicles and I think we should all not feel there is any problem sharing a source with this group. Politics aside.

Is there a complete list of the vendors associated with this site? Also a list of vendors who are members, and members who are employees of those vendors would be helpful.

Thanks very much.
Fast79Chief

BTW ... I'm not in ANY business to sell or offer services related to Jeeps, autos, or anything else. I have a full-time job every day in an unrelated sector.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its never been a "sensitive subject" in the past, but it now has been brought up numerous times in the last 2 days.

It is *NOT* "inappropriate" for people to bring up other vendors in a post talking about some item in any post outside of the vendor area (Posts from vendors are only for the specific items that they list). If anything it is encouraged for multiple options to be posted so that down the road when people are searching, they can see multiple options. I am not sure why you keep insinuating that people are trying to push some vendor over another. This has never been the case here. This is one of the very car forums that is not only entirely free for users with ZERO ads, but that has also never taken a single cent from any vendors.

If somebody post up something saying "here is a product from X vendor", there is nothing wrong with others posting up a similar product from Y vendor for comparison. This is actually a GOOD thing for the users of this forum as it shows them other options.

I am not sure how I can make this anymore clear than I already have.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

az chip

Post by az chip »

I thought I was tightly spring loaded to the touchy position. But I have been fairly beaten. Please Fast79chief do not see issues where none exist. Go by the very few sensible rules and all will be well. Nobody is after you. And I mean that. I think a fair exchange of thoughts, ideas, and evaluations of products in the open on any forum is good for all and nothing should be hidden or suppressed by one party over another in any thread. We all learn and get better by knowledge and honest and open competition.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yes were required... stuka uses a whip and pours battery acid in our eyes if we dont
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

toothofwar

Post by toothofwar »

candymancan wrote:Yes were required... stuka uses a whip and pours battery acid in our eyes if we dont
This... I spit my coffee everywhere over this one. Note to self, dont drink and forum! (At least not coffee)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Personally, I rather like it when someone says "Hey, check out X!!! I got it at Y for $Z" then someone else pipes up with "Hey! That's a steal" or "HEY! You're getting ripped off, bud!". Or an even better response... "Hey, remember that one thing we were all buying for too high a price? Well, I just got my new C&C machine up and running in my garage. Orders now being taken..." Like say, door pull aluminum billets. Dodge side mirror brackets. NOT that I have bought them, buffed them with Mothers and a dremel tool and am reinstalling them this week after my Jeep just got home from the painters... Oh wait. Yes I AM!!!!
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Yeah ... all sounds real good. Thanks a million for your comments. I'll be sure to share my great effort, interest and enthusiasm in finding solutions, great deals, and helping to develop problem solving products with outside professionals for all FSJ owners in the future. My first experience with trying to do just that was very rewarding. lol
That''s my final statement on this subject ... so you that want to take 'free pot-shots' at me ... have fun!
I have to go change my oil in Ol' Yeller. Lovin my new BRIGHT headlights though! lol

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im mot takin pot shots.. i like new ideas and new places to buy things.. im just normally a smartass in real life sorry lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)