Door panel clips

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Door panel clips

Post by deckroid »

Hey all

My GW is coming home from the painters next week and after I am finished hugging her, I am going to start to put her back together. A few clips popped out of the door card (whatever that material is... not quite cardboard not quite hard tack) and so I ordered new clips. What is the best way of securing them into the grooves? I see they slide in and I also see that there are wedges on some that keep them in. I have no wedges. Do I make them, use liquid nails/hot glue...?

Pics are coming. I swear.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

candymancan

Re: Door panel clips

Post by candymancan »

Good question.. mine dont slide in anymire as thr cardboard backing kinds melted off where thr clips off or pulled off i should say so there is no way to slide it on anymore.. So im not sure how people do it.. Mine thankfully still holds fine by my panels in the trunk are wobbly due to not being held on.

I jabe like 30 extra clip things but no way to mount them
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I have repaired the fiber part of door cards with strathmore board (a "structural" cardboard used by hobbyists, artists and architects for model building). I glued the patches on with pliobond-type adhesive. You could glue in the clips with something like ShoeGoo (Very handy stuff). Cures to a flexible plastic-y solid.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Yeah, same thing with my flexi-plasti-hot glue gun from Dewalt. The cloudy sticks seem to be stronger than the clear sticks.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

tgreese wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 am I have repaired the fiber part of door cards with strathmore board (a "structural" cardboard used by hobbyists, artists and architects for model building). I glued the patches on with pliobond-type adhesive. You could glue in the clips with something like ShoeGoo (Very handy stuff). Cures to a flexible plastic-y solid.
What weight do you use for the Strathmore board? Is it a "thicker is better" type deal? I think I saw weights as high as 110Lb when I searched.

Pliobond comes in a 20, 25 and 30-series. Any preferences of one over the others for this application?

Thanks!

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Greg72 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:30 pm
tgreese wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 am I have repaired the fiber part of door cards with strathmore board (a "structural" cardboard used by hobbyists, artists and architects for model building). I glued the patches on with pliobond-type adhesive. You could glue in the clips with something like ShoeGoo (Very handy stuff). Cures to a flexible plastic-y solid.
What weight do you use for the Strathmore board? Is it a "thicker is better" type deal? I think I saw weights as high as 110Lb when I searched.

Pliobond comes in a 20, 25 and 30-series. Any preferences of one over the others for this application?

Thanks!

-G
Re the Strathmore, I don't konow offhand. I went to my local Michael's and bought what they had. Maybe I can find a scrap and measure it later.

It's been a while since I've done this. I believe I used contact cement from the local big box on the latest repairs. I don't think it matters the specific glue brand/series, as long as it's a solvent-based contact cement that won't soften to moisture. It'll never come apart - place carefully! I'd think you could use a urethane glue like Gorilla Glue too, but the contact cement seems better due to its instant bond characteristics. Plus it won't foam up like urethane.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Greg72

Post by Greg72 »

tgreese wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:42 am
Greg72 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Thanks!

-G
Re the Strathmore, I don't konow offhand. I went to my local Michael's and bought what they had. Maybe I can find a scrap and measure it later.

It's been a while since I've done this. I believe I used contact cement from the local big box on the latest repairs. I don't think it matters the specific glue brand/series, as long as it's a solvent-based contact cement that won't soften to moisture. It'll never come apart - place carefully! I'd think you could use a urethane glue like Gorilla Glue too, but the contact cement seems better due to its instant bond characteristics. Plus it won't foam up like urethane.
Thanks for the help.

Yeah, this weekend was my first time pulling a door card and it was disappointing to see how much damage was on the perimeter of the panel where the clips are supposed to be. Most of the clips are missing (and most of the screws along the bottom too). It's going to be a real process to find the missing parts, and carefully recreate the slotted pockets for those retaining clips and make sure they are in the right spots.

The silver lining is that I successfully removed the power window motor and replaced the broken flex track sucessfully. Even found out that the PO had installed a nice BJs power window relay kit in that door already (BONUS!)... took the opportunity to install the BJs lock relay kit while I was in there and that got all 4 of my locks working awesome now...

Final step is just dealing with all the damage on the door card. Seeing how bad it was really bothered me.

-G
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - !! NEW !!