Make sure your rags are out of the engine bay....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Make sure your rags are out of the engine bay....

Post by candymancan »

Soooo today i was driving the 90 around getting gas going to petco lowes ect with my friend... when suddenly im like do you smell that. Naa i smell nothing my friend says..

2 miles later at a red light i see smoke coming from the hood.... I quickly pull over pop the hood a old oil rag for wiping my hands was still in the engine bay laying on the exhaust manifold on fire.. I grabbed my extinguisher but because it wasnt too big of a fire i decided to grab some water bottles i had and douse the fire out.

Half the rag was burned and when i pulled it out the wind caught on some embers and the fire tried to start on the rag so i jist dropped it on the ground and soaked it.

Yea.... that wasnt fun... suffice to say remember to take your rags out when youre done working on the Jeep.. I sware i always forget something.. tools rags... one time i crushed my phone leaving it under the hood and slaming the hood down lols.. Even set my keys on the engine bay side of the grill and closed my hood on em and went nuts trying to find them.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Lumpskie

Re: Make sure your rags are out of the engine bay....

Post by Lumpskie »

Man, I've been there with forgetting things under the hood. I'm glad you caught it before it caught you!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I once forgot an oil can, remember oil cans?, under the hood of my 68 Chevy truck. Crunch! I have also closed the hood on keys, an unfastened air cleaner, a cat and my buddy's hand. Though that last one wasn't all my fault.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yikes, this wasnt the start of the California fires was it? Fess up

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Once had a customer's Ford van that was towed in with no power. It would start (took a bit of cranking), but it wouldn't hardly rev at all. When I started pulling the air cleaner/intake tubing I found the problem. A large towel had been sucked in!