Year Two Review... Looking forward to Year Three

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Year Two Review... Looking forward to Year Three

Post by deckroid »

I have owned my 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer since October of 2016.

Here she is... Day One. I had just got home and snapped a pic.

I bought this from a guy up in McCall, Idaho who was the 2nd owner. He had it for 3 years and didn't do much with it, but had his eye on another project rig, so he put it up on Craigslist. I saw it and had to have it. Sold the Honda minivan and picked it up.

The rear windows wouldn't work, there was a major oil leak, head lights switch was all wonky, the seats were torn to hell, the clear coat was mostly gone but damn if she didn't make me smile.

Here is a list of what I have done SO FAR... (and it's not in order, just as I think of them)

Rear window tracks
All 4 window wipes
Gladiator grille w/round head lights
Headlight swich/floor switch
Serehill (RIP Rick) headlight/foglight relay
RMS - the WORST thing I have ever done. Seriously... I don't think there was a tool I didn't throw across the garage.
Shocks
Custom Front Bumper (rear sometime soon-ish)
Starter/solenoid/wiring/Ignition box
Ampmeter melt down almost started a fire
Dash lights
Heater/defroster vacuum selector doo-mah-hickey behind the glovebox
Arm rest with cup holders from a 93 Cougar (doesn't match colors but it works for now)
Muffler and most of the pipe as it was swiss cheese
Cigarette lighter to USB Charge port/Voltmeter
Rewire/repair driver seat motor
Replaced passenger door... had a nasty ding when I bought it... was going to be 500 to fix ding or 100 to replace from junkyard
Stabilizer
Ball Joints
Power Steering Gear box (mine died, replaced but doing it again because the rebuilt one is just way too dang stiff... I have another coming)
Thanks to a texting and driving teen:
Hood
Front driver panel
Put on Dodge Ram side mirrors using aluminum billets

at this point it's getting a Paint Job... was just going to clear coat it and keep the patina, but noooooo... I hate teenagers.

Left to do:

Gas gauge isn't working (sender unit most likely)
Bought sound proofing for the head liner area, doors and floor
3 - 4" lift... the sag is getting to me
Tires (I like the look of 31 x 10.5 I have, but KO2 or something like them)
Reupholster seats
Put woody vinyl back on

I am sure there is an engine rebuild in my future, maybe 5 years or so... I am looking to buy a 360 and just slowly rebuild it on a stand so I can just swap it out when the time comes.

I have learned SO much from the good folks on this site and YouTube. I would say that I spend about equal 1/3s between junkyards, BJs and TeamGrandWagoneer for parts and what not... maybe Ebay every so often. My tool collection has grown exponentially in the last 2 years. I just bought 2 tool roll aways at a local auction to hold them all and found the joke to be on me... one of them is jam packed full of old Craftsman and SnapOn hand tools.

I can't wait to see what Year Three has for me.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

dodgerammit

Re: Year Two Review... Looking forward to Year Three

Post by dodgerammit »

Good on you. :-bd

I purchased mine in early January 2017. Took my grandfather out in it on his birthday. He passed a month later. Lots of memories with him taking me places in his vehicles.

Like you, I've spent time going over mine.

New radiator, hoses, and thermostat.
New Kumho AT51s.
Fixed the non op rear window (right of passage)
Serehill's tailgate and headlight/fog light relays.
Stainless and aluminum drip rail and tailgate window trim to replace plastic.
Tune up and TFI conversion.
New mechanical fuel pump and in tank remedy for vapor lock.
MSD streetfire module to replace goo-leaking oem module,
Lots of Ignition and carb tuning. Went from 9 mpg to 13-14 avg.
Got the vacuum system for heat and defrost working.
Fixed the windows and door locks.
Front brakes and wheel bearings.
Had to replace passenger fender and hood due to damage from a PO. During this time, I decided to redo the woodgrain.
Also replaced hacked dash at the same time.
Repaired headliner.
Exploder console.
Lots of time spent on ebay and in boneyards getting the little miscellaneous things to complete the missing bits.

The looks and conversations this thing gets while I smile and get to cruise it:
Priceless.

Also, like you, I plan on driving it as is and locating another 360 I can slowly build up at a leisurely pace,
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Well, I won't go into all the details of what I have done to mine over the last year plus. It makes my rear pocket hurt. But let's just say it's a lot. But like you guys, the conversations it sparks and the nostalgia it evokes are priceless. But mine has a future purpose of helping me explore the country. So everything I am doing is with that goal in mind.

Day I brought her home:

How she sits today:

Roof top tent coming next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I think the money/time spent on this rig is well spent. My kids help out where they can, the wife loves the annual Christmas Tree Excursion, the conversations about places I've been, where to go, fishing holes to try... and speaking of road trips, the ultimate for me is Route 66. I live about 1800 miles away from Chicago, and 800 from Santa Monica, so I think I will start in Chicago... less driving home.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lol its funny how alot of us think alike.

I got mine 2 1.2 years ago and last year for christmas I decided to get a like 8 foot tree with my mom and toss that big thing on top and snap a picture of it before i went home lol. Also saw this inflatable station wagon in home depot as i got my tree.

I sware im tje only one with a black wagoneer. This color must be rare lol i always see the yellow burgundy. blue. red. white ones but not black

[url=https://ibb.co/fcORKf]Image
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)