Interchangeable body years?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
catmor116

Interchangeable body years?

Post by catmor116 »

Hello.
I am new to the wagoneer family. I have wanted one forever it seems and finally bought a 1989 Grand Wagoneer that needs some work. My Haynes manual is 1984-1989 but I was wondering if wagoners older than 1984 would be interchangeable, specifically the hood, and window trim pieces since the body didn’t really change over the years. I am currently looking for a parts vehicle and was wondering how far back in the wagoneer production I could go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Interchangeable body years?

Post by rocklaurence »

I believe the tail lights changed in '84 and the drive train changed in 1980 and the door latches in '76. So, most everything will interchange in regards to the body.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There are definitely changes through out the years. Marker lights move around on fenders, there is at least three hoods, although they all bolt up. Some have holes in the ground, and some are shaped differently up front.

Door hinges and latches changed, floors changed (and thereby seat mounts), drive trains changed numerous times. I don't think FSJ's older than '84 used the same door trim as GWs. They should be mountable, but may not match what you have.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Doesn't really apply to the OP's question but the number of body mounts decreased by one per side.

Not sure when but my '84 has fewer than my '67 did. Haven't had one between those years.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

SJTD wrote:Doesn't really apply to the OP's question but the number of body mounts decreased by one per side.

Not sure when but my '84 has fewer than my '67 did. Haven't had one between those years.
This changed in '76. '75 had the older style, '76 had the newer style.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

catmor116 wrote:Hello.
I am new to the wagoneer family. I have wanted one forever it seems and finally bought a 1989 Grand Wagoneer that needs some work. My Haynes manual is 1984-1989 but I was wondering if wagoners older than 1984 would be interchangeable, specifically the hood, and window trim pieces since the body didn’t really change over the years. I am currently looking for a parts vehicle and was wondering how far back in the wagoneer production I could go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have an 84 Grand Wagoneer and I have used parts from various wagoneers (and even a cherokee). The hood is pretty much the same except where the hood release is located. I don't know when it changed from the center to right of center, but mine is just right of center after hitting the release inside. I have used a complete door from an 88, I have used a hood from a 78, driver front panel from an 83. As for window trim, I have not done much other than replaced the wipes for the windows. Except that now I will have to do one more as I swapped doors... and trying to get the new one out of my old door I just mangled the thing, so BJsoffroad to the rescue again. I know the wipes fit from 63 - 91 FSJ Wagoneers and 74-83 Cherokees.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
catmor116

Post by catmor116 »

Thanks for the help. As I progress with my restoration I am sure I will have more questions. I have scanned many pages here and it seems a few people have done the things that I know my wagoneer needs. So glad I found this forum.

gswjeep97

Post by gswjeep97 »

Hi
Do you have any of these parts for a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer?
front driver-side fender
front passenger-side fender
core support for the headlights
front grill
hood

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There is a WTB (want to buy) forum here and at IFSJA. There are Jeep junkyards; Jakes, Montana Overland, J&W, likely others. Suggest you try car-part.com for junkyards with the requested parts in your area. It will help to include your location in your posts.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.