AC issues coming to a close...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

AC issues coming to a close...

Post by HowardT64 »

Got new fittings and replaced the faulty service ports. Had to replace the high pressure hose. But now I have to vacuum out the system again. How much does a task like that usually bid for? Some places around here charge you for just opening the hood. I am half tempted to just find a way to get the gauge cluster and a pump and do it myself.

:) :fsj:
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

SJTD

Re: AC issues coming to a close...

Post by SJTD »

Harbor Freight sells a vacuum pump that runs on compressed air. I fink it's around $20. I get about 25" on my cheapo gauges with it. Gauges aren't that spensive either.

If you're concerned about it not sucking hard enough you can break the vacuum with refrigerant and do it again. A once or twice doing that and the air/moisture concentration will be infinitesimal.

If the system wasn't open to atmosphere very long a single suck would be sufficient.

You replaced the drier also I hope.

R12 or 134?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Yes I replaced the drier. Its setup for 134a.....the system was not exposed for more than an hour...so I dont think it will bee to contaminated. I may just get the tools myself and do it. It does not sound like it will involve a lot of work, just knowing what to turn and connect to. If i take the time to read instructions I should do okay.. :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Post by letank »

autozone rents the compressor for free -you pay for it, and upon returning the tool within 2 weeks or ' weeks, I forgot, they give you back the money, I can't remember if they have the manifold as well...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Even though the national advertising for many of those auto parts places say they rent vacuum pumps and gauge sets, none around here in VA did.

Amazon has a nice set for $130, “ kozyvacu auto ac repair complete tool kit with 1-stage 3.5 cfm vacuum pump, manifold, hoses and accessories.”

Nice set, pulled down vacuum to -30 on 2 project vehicles. You can generally tell where the leak is on the evaporator (source of all my leaks) by how fast it loses vacuum ie: before or after the expansion valve.

Walmart sells pure 12 oz r134a cans (Super tech) for under $5. Pure meaning no oil in the refrigerant. You need a spin on adapter (under $3) that is basically a can tap with a threaded fitting for super techs self sealing cans. The Walmart closest to me didn’t have the part although the webpage stated they did. Home Depot happened to have the threaded can tap and another Walmart I happened to be at today had it right next to the cans. 18 oz (1.5 cans) is what it took to charge my system. 2 full cans is likely to ice up the suction port on the compressor head.

Did you replace the evaporator? If so, remove the Schrader valve in the equalizer port (note I’m assuming the only replacement evaporator is from 4 seasons which has the schrader for leak test/construction purposes). If you do not remove the schrader, the system will only marginally cool. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that these aren’t capable systems. They can cool down to 38 on low fan speed, about 50 on high and somewhere in the middle for middle fan speeds. However, the cfm on the underdash system is pretty lame for the volume of the interior.

Enjoy.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I dont have to worry about the AC for a couple of months yet..but I will take this information and run with it...thanks Guys :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"