Special Sales Order Tags On Wagoneers

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
WagScribe

Special Sales Order Tags On Wagoneers

Post by WagScribe »

Jeff Kobs recently ran across a Special Sales Request & Order (SSR&O) on a 1414X Custom Special. I had heard rumors about SSR&O tags on 1414D Supers but nobody could ever deliver proof. So, Wagoneer gurus, has any of you seen a SSR&O tag on a Super or Special. Along the same lines, has anyone seen an SSR&O tag on ANY wagoneer. I've been collecting SSR&O numbers for years and have not run across a Wagoneer with one. Though there must have been a few. Regrettably, we have yet to find the SSR&O "Rosetta Stone" that would decode them, though if you know about the Jeep and the changes that were made, you can put some of the pieces together. I found one page that listed an SSR&O for an adaptation of a CJ-5 and one for a Renegade, which offers tantalizing hints at what they might contain.

If you have run across any tags, especially if you have recorded the number or taken a pic of the tag, I'd appreciate a heads up! Not much I can do with the numbers at this point but maybe a clue will come to unlock the SSR&O secrets.

Jeff sent over some images of the tags for the 1414X in question and they are attached with his permission. It's a March '68 built unit, so it wasn't a real early unit or anything.
image2LR.JPG
image1LR.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Allen
Keeping the Good Old Days of Four-Wheeling Alive

mud89

Re: Special Sales Order Tags On Wagoneers

Post by mud89 »

Hi Jim,
The early 1414Xs got a SSO
I think that the last 1414X too
I recorded this SSO for a late 1971 1414X : "D-5311"
I have also the following SSO for a 66 2 doors wagoneer : "GS-4884" , so obviously a government sale
J10 81, J10 77, CJ7 80, Gladiator 64, Wagoneer 65, ZJ 5.9
parts vehicles : wagoneer 63, cherokee Golden eagle

mud89

Post by mud89 »

And if you are interested by the van version of the wagoneer, AKA panel delivery , i have "GS-5173" for 67 military audio-visual-aid (AVA) trucks

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

mud89 wrote:And if you are interested by the van version of the wagoneer, AKA panel delivery , i have "GS-5173" for 67 military audio-visual-aid (AVA) trucks
I got that one from another one of those trucks some time back that one of my magazine compadgres turned into a trail monster some years back!

Keep 'em coming!
Jim Allen

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I would point out that the VIN tags from '72 on have a field for the SSR&O number, so I presume they would have no separate tag. You guys with '72 and later vehicles could look at you VIN tags and see if you have an additional number to contribute.

Correction - not '72. These have the old style tag with one or two fields, but they have the modern VINs. They have the separate paint and trim tag, and I presume they would get a separate SSR&O tag as well, as needed. Maybe '73, for certain '74 has the above style tag. I don't have a '73 manual to refer to.
Last edited by tgreese on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Good point, Tim.

More seldom seen in later years because, as I am told, the line was better able to accommodate variations.
Jim Allen

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Here's a thread about a '73 Super Jeep SSR&O if you are interested - http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... st-1449675
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

tgreese wrote:Here's a thread about a '73 Super Jeep SSR&O if you are interested - http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... st-1449675
Always interested, thanks!
Jim Allen

mud89

Post by mud89 »

tgreese wrote:I would point out that the VIN tags from '72 on have a field for the SSR&O number, so I presume they would have no separate tag. You guys with '72 and later vehicles could look at you VIN tags and see if you have an additional number to contribute.

Correction - not '72. These have the old style tag with one or two fields, but they have the modern VINs. They have the separate paint and trim tag, and I presume they would get a separate SSR&O tag as well, as needed. Maybe '73, for certain '74 has the above style tag. I don't have a '73 manual to refer to.
Yep, the SSR & O number is on the VIN plate since '73
For post '72 i have a J20 SSR&O but no Wagoneers

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

RE the 1972 and later SSR&O tag, does anyone have a picture of one? I've seen a vin tag or two that had just a few digits printed there above the trim option area. Both were military build vehicles, one a J20 ex forest service and one a J20 ambulance. IIRC the code was three or four digits without a GS code. I can also remeber parting out a 1980 Cherokee Laredo that had a V8, auto, and 4.10's that had 410 stamped in that area but the digits were stamped in from the front of the tag not the back...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Cheezeetroy

Post by Cheezeetroy »

Hey guys and gals, i know this post is dated, But I'm just seeing it for the first time so, 🤷‍♂️sorry, but not sorry.

I just picked up a 71 waggy, 1414X with a SSO tag. (D5311)
I'm just trying to gain a little info on it, and the internet has little to offer.
Does anyone know of a place to scrounge for specifics?

Thanks, :fsj:

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Thanks for posting up that tag number. A lot of your questions will be answered in the article I did forDispatcher magazine last year. You can find that story online at https://www.dispatchermagazine.com/supe ... -jim-allen
Jim Allen

Topic author
WagScribe

Post by WagScribe »

Oh, forgot to ask. Wuld you mind posting or PM-ing your VIN so I can add it to the Database? Is it Golden Lime in color with a charcoal interior and a 360 AMC V8? These had the D5311 SSR&O code like yours. The tags are fragile so take steps to preserve yours!
Jim Allen