Reproduction Headliner

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
custom76

Reproduction Headliner

Post by custom76 »

Recently saw these on EBay by a Collectirs Auto Supply for $171.99, made by REM, in 3 pieces. Pics are terrible and don’t show product. I got this when I asked if they could provide some actual photos of it.
C773D346-F172-4BC8-A1D1-66B655C35258.jpeg
Anyone tried one yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1976 Custom Wagoneer Survivor
2000 WS6 Trans Am Conv, performance and suspension mods
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )
An old Pontiac guy gone Waggy!
:D Whoever designed these tailgates must still be grinning :D

SJTD

Re: Reproduction Headliner

Post by SJTD »

If they can't even provide a real picher I'd pass.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

Are you looking for originality or just want to make it look good? I got some head line material at a local fabric shop. Glued it on and done!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

My original may be doable, haven’t tackled it head on yet, just doing detective work and exploring options.

I’ve read a few posts expressing desire for a repro for these fiberboard type liners and mostly thought I’d make members aware of them. If they’re worth a flip I imagine BJ’s or Team Wagoneer will carry them in time.
1971 GTO Conv, 4 speed, built 428 (rest of its waiting for me to finish the Wag :| )

will e

Post by will e »

is it material or backing board they are selling on Ebay?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

Stay away from SMS Headliners. I have installed 6 of them over the years and they never fit quite right and usually fall in the Wagoneers after just a year. I've had really bad luck with them. I would LOVE if someone would start making just the fiber board style in several colors.
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

will e wrote:is it material or backing board they are selling on Ebay?
Here’s link, says painted cardboard, the information and pics are sketchy

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2703626432

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

DustinLangston wrote:Stay away from SMS Headliners. I have installed 6 of them over the years and they never fit quite right and usually fall in the Wagoneers after just a year. I've had really bad luck with them. I would LOVE if someone would start making just the fiber board style in several colors.
These are not from SMS, who I think only makes sewn fabric and vinyl types. These are manufactured by REM, who I also have contacted for info.

Link to eBay is in my previous post

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

These are my originals which I have weighted hoping to recurve them where they are warped. Because some of the edges are brittle I plan to laminate the entire back of them (if I can get them reshaped) with something that is hopefully self adhesive, suggestions appreciated.

It appears the painted side showing on the rear section is the original color, but maybe there used to be a fabric glued to it.
Info on this would also be helpful.

Thanks for lookingImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

DustinLangston wrote:Stay away from SMS Headliners. I have installed 6 of them over the years and they never fit quite right and usually fall in the Wagoneers after just a year. I've had really bad luck with them. I would LOVE if someone would start making just the fiber board style in several colors.
Same here. Ordered a 3 piece headliner from SMS for my truck. It was sagging and warped in less than 3 months. Now its held up with stainless screws drilled in across the front above the windshield. Wasn't there someone on here making interior panels out of ABS? May be worth searching.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Phils67 wrote:
Same here. Ordered a 3 piece headliner from SMS for my truck. It was sagging and warped in less than 3 months. Now its held up with stainless screws drilled in across the front above the windshield. Wasn't there someone on here making interior panels out of ABS? May be worth searching.
Men In Black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

Sounds like the SMS panels may be the same ones REM makes, or SMS sells them to REM. Hopefully I can salvage my originals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Feel your pain on warped headliner boards.. my 90 whwn i bought it had no headliner boards.. Found a like 83 wagoneer with the boards but were warped... I glued a burgendy cordovan color vinyl from joans fabrics on it. Then i found an 89 with near perfect headliner boards... U glued the same cordovan vinyl on it and its been holding fine for a year or so now.

I did the computer in black headliner fabric.. as the glue i used for the vinyl melts hard plastic lol so i had to use the regular headliner spray glue for the console.. Since my interior is black and red anyway it looked good.

But yea itd ve nice if someone made new headliner boards for people not as lucky as me

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

men in black
Vendor

Post by men in black »

Got a headliner sample from the Ebay vendor (Jackjilli), its 1/16" thick cardboard with a leather texture. $79.95 plus shipping about $50.00

1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior.. 70,000 miles,
Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
Full Corinthian leather front and rear seat. custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle-trap on floor. Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote:Feel your pain on warped headliner boards.. my 90 whwn i bought it had no headliner boards.. Found a like 83 wagoneer with the boards but were warped... I glued a burgendy cordovan color vinyl from joans fabrics on it. Then i found an 89 with near perfect headliner boards... U glued the same cordovan vinyl on it and its been holding fine for a year or so now.

I did the computer in black headliner fabric.. as the glue i used for the vinyl melts hard plastic lol so i had to use the regular headliner spray glue for the console.. Since my interior is black and red anyway it looked good.
Looks real real good, which brand of glue did you use? When I redid mine the headliner glue oozed from thru the fabric -yes- I did not use real headliner material, only a basic fabric from a fire sale, but at $10 for 30 yards, I have plenty to practice with. Staples did the job...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
custom76

Post by custom76 »

men in black wrote:Got a headliner sample from the Ebay vendor (Jackjilli), its 1/16" thick cardboard with a leather texture. $79.95 plus shipping about $50.00

Different seller than I found on eBay. Did Jacjilli say if it was made by REM?
is it a 3 piece?

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Why not just get the ones from BJs? I have one and it's great.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

letank wrote:
candymancan wrote:Feel your pain on warped headliner boards.. my 90 whwn i bought it had no headliner boards.. Found a like 83 wagoneer with the boards but were warped... I glued a burgendy cordovan color vinyl from joans fabrics on it. Then i found an 89 with near perfect headliner boards... U glued the same cordovan vinyl on it and its been holding fine for a year or so now.

Looks real real good, which brand of glue did you use? When I redid mine the headliner glue oozed from thru the fabric -yes- I did not use real headliner material, only a basic fabric from a fire sale, but at $10 for 30 yards, I have plenty to practice with. Staples did the job...

For fabric or headliner fabric you want to use the 3m headliner spray i forgot its exact name but its a black can with red writing.. Tjat stuff you put 2 coats on let it sit for 5 minutes then lay the headliner or fabric on. Did my moms headliner in jer 4.0 ZJ like that and held fine for ovee a year.

for the vinyl. You want to use the DAP weldwood glue you can buy 1 gallon paint containers of it in lowes for like 30$ . I used the gel kind on my 83 headliner which didnt work too well so i used the original more liquididy weldwood on my headliner in the picture and it worked great. You just need to use a decent amount the cardboard will suck it up but DONT make it superr thick though.. Then you let it sit for 5-10 minutes until its tacky to the touch.. not wet but sticky so your finger sticks and pulls strings like cheese.. Then lay the vinyl on and push it on really good rubbing it back and forth many many times to make sure it sticks everywhere. With vinyl you dont need to worry about it leaking through.

Just dont use too mucj glue or too little.. too little and itll seperate.. Too mucj and itll really wrinkle the vinyl.. Which actually looks good makes it looked like aged leather.. but you get what i mean

I just poured the 1 gal contaimer on in globs and used a regular paint brush to brush it on.

If you habe a joans fabric just get the headliner fsbric or vinyl from there man.. They have like 40-60% off coupons all the time online on their website.. and i think i paid like 30$ for 3 yards of vinyl and headliner fabric for my moms ZJ
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

men in black
Vendor

Post by men in black »

custom76 wrote:Different seller than I found on eBay. Did Jacjilli say if it was made by REM? is it a 3 piece?
Yes its made by REM and 3 piece. It looks like they cut the hole for the dome light in half.
1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior.. 70,000 miles,
Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
Full Corinthian leather front and rear seat. custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle-trap on floor. Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I wonder if they also have a trim strip for between the panels.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.