To buy or not to buy...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
89er

To buy or not to buy...

Post by 89er »

So I spotted this (79?) wagoneer in a closed junk yard, got ahold of the owner. He said he'd sell me a couple parts I wanted off it for fairly expensive or he'd sell me the whole wagon for a few hundred bucks. No seats in it, whole thing rusted to hell.

I don't really want the heap on our land but if it would be possible to part it out and make a little money off it to invest in my rig then it would be worth it. Does there seem to be anything left on this thing worth my trouble of purchasing and parting out?

'89 Grand Wagoneer Baltic-blue/Tan

REDONE

Re: To buy or not to buy...

Post by REDONE »

Do you already sell stuff on eBay? There's probably enough shiny stuff there to make up the difference between what you want and what you pay for the whole thing, but you'll spend 15 years trying to sell it on forums, you'll need to eBay or Etsy it to move it. If it comes with papers, you could spend a couple weeks stripping and boxing what's worth it and then have a scrapper take the hulk. If no papers, after you part it you'll have to cut it up into one-man movable peices. That's been the "rule" for scrapped cars in pieces when I've done it.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Agreed ^^ I spy front arm rests, uncut dash (and pad?), shiny trim, f/r bumpers, bezels, knobs, tailgate and glass, etc.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

mx71

Post by mx71 »

If you decide to get it, I'll take the rubber door seals above the door that are plastic riveted to the body, as well as the chrome trim on either side of the wagoneer trim on the tailgate, and the chrome trim below those. I might be interested in the instrument panel/gauges depending on condition. I also might be interested in the metal trim on the outside if it's complete.

Things people would want:

Rear Glass
Ryan @ BJs would want the tailgate motor
Tailgate and defrost switch on the dash is valuable
Motor is worth a few hundred on it's own, at least 800 if you can get it to run.
Quadratrac worth a few hundred
Trans worth maybe a couple hundred
Axles can go to Wrangler guys or whoever wants passenger side drop D44s
Wheels are worth 250-300 shipped if they're the 5 slot mags
If you can get the windshield out without breaking it, a lot of people would want that.
Unrusted fuel tank could go to someone...those aren't available.
If the bumpers aren't peeling, those would be worth something.

I would absolutely get it for myself if I had the space.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Looks like it has stainless gutters and stainless rear window trim... If it has the stainless drip.gutter covers you can make 300$ on those alone.

Tbh i wouldnt take the whole Jeep though.. Unless i had land to store it on... Once i was done stripping it id sell it to a u pick for like 300$ or something
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

Where is this junkyard at?
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I would do it in a heartbeat. I have been looking for a parts rig for a year now. Not much out there for under a thousand. If the past 6 months have taught me anything, it's that straight doors hoods front panels that are relatively rust free are extremely hard to come by now. Also that motor once pulled and put on a engine stand would make a great winter project.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).