Rear Window Defroster

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Rear Window Defroster

Post by deckroid »

My rear window defroster has never worked since I bought my 84 GW back in October of '16. While it is at the painters, I was thinking of items to work on when I get it back. I took everything off, so I will be opening back up the rear window panel anyway to put back some parts. As I look at the TSM, it appears to be yet another vacuum operated item on the Jeep... am I getting this right? When I turn the switch on, the green light comes on, but no heat to the window. I was hoping for a simple "Change the wiring harness/fuse" kind of thing.

Still reading but any help would be appreciated.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

kansasboy001

Re: Rear Window Defroster

Post by kansasboy001 »

The rear defroster is not vacuum. Its all electric. If the light comes on it means the wiring to the tailgate relay is good and the switch is good. Most likely your wires to the grid are busted off at the grid and you need a tab repair kit. Or you have breaks in the grid.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

ShagWagon

Re: Rear Window Defroster

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah the wires get caught up in the window mechanism if it isn't zip tied to the arm correctly.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.