My fellow Jeep fanatics...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

My fellow Jeep fanatics...

Post by HowardT64 »

Been away for a little while. Had a lot of health issues as well as some other things go south on me, including some minor stuff on the Wag. The wag is almost back to normal...just a slight pop out of the carb now and then. Im thinking its either the choke needing adjustment, or the air fuel mixture is off.

I am better too. I have arthritis so bad, when the weather changes, it cripples me. I see a doctor to go over my recent back surgeries in Nov...some final kinks to work out, hope its as easy to fix as my Wag...except my rear end backfires too much...my Jeep does fine :)

Jerry? Sorry I have not gotten back with you...I have not forgotten about you brother...

I hope all of you are well :)

Howard :-bd
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Xplitive

Re: My fellow Jeep fanatics...

Post by Xplitive »

Hopefully all will be steady as she goes! That arthritis and the effects of weather can be pretty bad.
Did you ever get your ac sorted out? Now that I’m done, can report a best of 38F at low fan speed and 50F at high fan speed, ambient temp 78-80. York system converted to Sanden and R134.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

will e

Post by will e »

Good to hear from ya! Hope they get you some relief soon.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Xplitive wrote:Hopefully all will be steady as she goes! That arthritis and the effects of weather can be pretty bad.
Did you ever get your ac sorted out? Now that I’m done, can report a best of 38F at low fan speed and 50F at high fan speed, ambient temp 78-80. York system converted to Sanden and R134.
Just about....need a 90 degree fitting for the high pressure line and IM done :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

will e wrote:Good to hear from ya! Hope they get you some relief soon.
I see a Dr on November 9th...hopefully he can help :) You doing okay?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hope things are getting better for you!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Post by 243 »

I can relate to health issues dragging a guy down, best of luck getting this sorted it out and living as normal as you can!
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Stuka wrote:Hope things are getting better for you!
Thanks my friend :) UPDATE...my coil wires were not making proper contact which made the Jeep run like crap. New coil with the studs that allow me to bolt the wires on is now on the Jeep. Runs MUCH better :)

I wish my back was as easy to fix :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Easy fixes are the best types :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

That popping noise from the carb is about to drive me nuts...I do not know what to look for now. I thought perhaps the choke needs adjusting or the air fuel mix. The choke should be an easy adjust...but the air fuel mix? Id mess it up im sure. The timing is perfect...she fires right up and idles like a dream. Just pops when I give it too much throttle while driving, it pops. When I let off it quits. Its a Motorcraft 2150...any ideas?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Hey Howard. Hope that the back and everything is treating you okay this Friday.

Is the popping sound coming out of the tailpipe or out of the carb in the engine bay? Could be a mix problem, running too rich. Try googling “lean best idle” and follow procedures to set your carb.

Also, since you said the truck has been sitting, Have you rebuilt the motorcraft lately? It sounds like life was busy happening to you. (It has a way of doing that, you know?) Modern gas eats up old carbs when they are left sitting. Your power valve, gaskets, etc. might be needing some freshening.

I’m no expert and someone else on here will probably give 100x better advice, but that’s at least where I’d start.
Last edited by melford72 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Popping sound when you give it gas sounds like a lean condition. Check your accelerator pump - you may have a shot gasket? It will lean out when you give it gas without the pump working correctly, making it pop through the carb. I don't know what kind of carb you have so can't be much more help than this.
1984 GW

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I have arthitus in 3 of my toes on my left foot.. And im only 32.. Wheb i walk i have strain to not limp as its in my big toe joints and the 2 middle toes. It sucks.. i can only imagine in your back or whole body

Where is your arthitus exactly and what have you done to try to help it ? Is yours degenerative or ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A burnt exhaust valve will show as a minor pop in the carburetor. You can also feel an uneven pulse in the exhaust. Check the compression. You could also look at the spark plugs and get an clue whether it's running too lean. If the pop is worst with the throttle open, that suggests it's too lean. This could be a vacuum leak or the wrong power valve. Vacuum normally holds the power valve closed, so a broken power valve typically stays open and makes the engine run rich.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Good to here you are better and take your time on the other.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

The popping sounds go away after the engine warms up. Im thinking it is the choke....Ill check the setting and adjust accordingly :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Fi cures carb popping.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.