Paint Prep

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

Paint Prep

Post by deckroid »

Well, it's now time to paint the Grand Wagoneer. Back in May, I was sideswiped and had to replace the hood and driver front panel. There was a dent in the passenger door when I bought it and the auto body shop that did the work for the accident said it would be 600 bones to pull the dent out of the door, but I found a replacement at a pull apart for only $100 bucks. Spent a few hours this past Sunday getting the door on. To be fair, it took 20 mins to pull the trim, wires and door off. About 10 mins getting the door back on and a whopping 2 hours getting the door aligned properly. I will say, there was much beer consumed and salty talk because that [BEEP] door just didnt want to play nice.

When I did a walk around with the painter in July, he said that he would charge me $80 bucks an hour to remove the vinyl, door handles, etc etc... but he sold me 3 eraser wheels for 10 bucks each and gave me a list of what to remove. He is still going to spot weld the holes from the trim as I am going to wait until spring to put replace the wood trim. Still looking for options on that... TeamGrandWagoneer vs BJs vs ??? vs painted to look like wood (saw that on a video about a brit flipping vehicles... he only asked 26k for that rig in the end)

Here's some pics... some from a few days ago when I started and some from when I stared to work on it today, but it started to rain and I called it a day. (first time it has rained since early June)

1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Paint Prep

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

It's been my experience that the more prep you do, the more reasonable the painter will be. Just do what you can to make it as easy as possible for him and you may get the paint job you want.

If your going to replace the woodgrain and trim later, why fill in the holes? That will make it much harder to replace everything... IMHO.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Not to mention the additional work at $80/hr to weld, sand, fill, sand ...

And the burned paint on the inside to fix so it doesn't rust.

Then there's the new holes that'll rust unless you're going to use an adhesive or foam tape to install the trim.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Mine turned out great. I did the vinyl myself. Ordered a non original color that I liked from metro restyling's ebay page.

Rewrapped my own trim. Saved a ton of $$$.

Never had done anything like this before. I am happy with how it went.

After the paint gasses off thoroughly, get some microfiber cloths, rubbing alcohol, a heat gun, and some posterboard for templates. Roll up your sleeves and get to it.

I can't recommend the 3M #94 adhesive primer enough. Get it!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Saw a place on eBay a few years ago that would sell you some wood trim for about $300? Maybe less. If you sent in your old ones first so they could re paint them. Probably the route I'll go.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

dodgerammit wrote:Mine turned out great. I did the vinyl myself
Holy crap that looks nice. How long did it take you to cut out the pattern? I don't know if I can revinyl it... pretty much no talent.

Most the replacement trim I have seen is stick 'em, which is why I am having the holes filled in. Not to mention that I do not have garage space for this vehicle, so it is going to be out of doors. If I can't get to covering the holes with vinyl and sticky trim tape until Spring, I don't want all that wet getting in my doors.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

deckroid wrote:
dodgerammit wrote:Mine turned out great. I did the vinyl myself
Holy crap that looks nice. How long did it take you to cut out the pattern? I don't know if I can revinyl it... pretty much no talent.

Most the replacement trim I have seen is stick 'em, which is why I am having the holes filled in. Not to mention that I do not have garage space for this vehicle, so it is going to be out of doors. If I can't get to covering the holes with vinyl and sticky trim tape until Spring, I don't want all that wet getting in my doors.
I used posterboard and made templates. That way, all my fudge ups were on $0.33 paper. The vinyl really isn't much on the talent side. It is big on the patience side.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Good luck with the prep work but I have one question. Once you bust a Waggy out of the wood crate, why go back?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

If you are going to make a beater out of the Wagon you don't want the wooden crate on the sides,
but if you want a good looking Wagon for a DD or to sale the wooden crate is the way to go.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

This is my DD, fishing hole finder, camping, road tripping, desert/mountain/prairie What's Over There vehicle. While I like Wagoneers that are bare, I have to have the woody look. When someone talks about their Grand Wagoneer, until I see a pic or in person, in my mind it is always wrapped in wood.

What I am looking for is a vinyl that will last another 35 years. One of the wrapping places close to me said their stuff will last about 5 to 8 years. (The store rig out front was done 3 years ago and it is already super faded) I am hoping to build a shop within 3 years for all my tools and wood working machinery, then I can fit the Jeep in the garage. Until then... it will be outside like a wet puppy.

Topic author
deckroid

Paint Prep **** UPDATE ****

Post by deckroid »

Been super busy, but...

Oct 22nd, I borrowed a vehicle tow rig and took the GW down to the painters...

This is the panel the body shop replaced after the accident. They said it had zero rust. It did too until I removed the vinyl.

When I bought the Jeep, there was a pretty good sized ding in the door that 2 different shops said would be about 500 bucks to take out. I found a door (after looking for a LONG time... GWs aren't easy to find around southern Idaho) and was apprehensive about putting it on. I shouldn't have been. The door itself was on in 20 - 30 mins. Getting it to close right and hang just so took another hour.

After 2 weeks, I went back down to the painters to take more photos...

They filled in the holes a little too well! The lower tailgate holes where the chrome plates go were welded and covered... oh, well. I will have to tap them when I go to put everything back.

Notice the rusted spot... GONE.

When she comes back, I am planning on some dynamat on the doors. Maybe inside the door too... not sure.

Other things needed:

Muffler
Suspension - (bjs, skyjacker... dunno yet)
Seats recovered
Retro-Radio... I want bluetooth while I run around

Short list. Much shorter than when I started 2 years ago!

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

:-bd Nice. Bet you can't wait to see the finished product. Biggest thing is allowing the paint time to gas off before reinstalling the vinyl wrap.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I was thinking May/June anyway, so that should be enough time!

My insurance guy is having kittens about how to insure this... he cant believe that the book jumps from 5500 to 13k with just a paint job.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

wish i had a garage man... i hate living in a townhouse with no garage lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Insurance is a legit question. I am assuming I will need to go to Hagerty’s or somewhere to get mine insured once it is done. I imagine USAA will not be interested in carrying it once i have it appraised. Any other options out there?

Looking forward to seeing yours progress.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I was told 2 things by a classic car guy here in Idaho... travellers does a good job because they are brokers and can shop around instead of being locked in to an insurance pproduct, so look for a broker agent... and always keep records, receipts, photos of receipts, photos of before and after, document everything. Even if you do your own work... most good insurance brokers will try to work with you when it comes to appraisals if you have proof of work done.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

USAA will insure it based on what they think its worth my 90 i pay like 25$ a month for liability... Pretty sure they valued the Jeep at like 800$.. Oh well lol

I know my county says its worth 800$ so my property taxes are nothing
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I stopped by Karcher Auto Body in Nampa, Idaho (mad props!) and saw my Wagoneer in the paint booth.

My first look was an honest to god double take. I was seriously floored.

Then we walked in and I saw this...

Ricky, the painter, was talking about pearl and Nordic Green and flake but honestly, all I saw was SPARKLES!!! I felt like a kid! He then turned out the light and shined a light and said this is what is will look like in the sun.

Jeff, one of the owners, was cool about my ignorance and talked me through a lot about paint jobs. So, as I understand it, it will be out gassing for 3 weeks and I can use a car wash, but it's a double edged sword... the brushless no touch car washes don't tough the vehicle but the chemicals are stronger and can eat thru the wax and clear coat while the touch car washes have dirt and grit from previous cars than can do damage. A hand wash now and again with a good hand wax every 6 to 12 months should be good and also keep it under cover. I have been cleaning out the garage so I can get this baby in, but my wood working tools are going to be stacked in the corner for a while. Worth it.

I kept saying "Holy Crap! This is MY Jeep?!?" I don't think I'm cool enough to drive this rig. And Ricky asked me if I am going to take it out fishing now. I told him that Idaho Pin-striping buffs out. But maybe I won't go as fast down the trail... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Sweet man! That thing looks awesome! :-bd

I wash mine by hand. Even if I'm lazy and go to a car wash, I use a bay and bring my own sponge. Then drive it immediately after to dry it off with minimal spots.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Putting the wagon back together is taking about twice as long as taking it all apart.