Early tailgate glass & moulding fitment question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
loganobrien121

Early tailgate glass & moulding fitment question

Post by loganobrien121 »

Hey guys,

Trying to get everything I need to fully rebuild my rattly tailgate... again... and am a little confused about the moulding the glass is attached to. I don't know if this changed over the years but on mine, as it is right now, the glass was just held into the moulding by glue. In some other pictures I've seen though it looks like there's a piece of foam 'cushion' that lays inside the moulding, keeping the glass from making direct contact with it.

Is that something they had across the board or was that setup added later? On TGW and BJs I can't seem to find that specific piece of foam. In searching the forum, I think I found some mentions of it, but nothing that seemed definitive.
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

letank

Re: Early tailgate glass & moulding fitment question

Post by letank »

no foam, there is a rubber liner that is set on the window track, but if you are using an older glass, it is thicker -forgot the exact year change but 79 would be a good guess. So if you buy a new channel from our vendors and try to put the rubber channel, it will not fit... so we use silicone, which of course we know is bad because it oxydizes the metal channel, it will make it rust, you need proper glass sealant.

On the 74 is had held up.... for the windows with the silicone, as for the tailgate the glass was held up ... or held down by a chrome metal trim piece that is screwed on the glass channel... but at this time I cannot remember what I did for the bottom channel of the tailgate glass.

The rattle is usually the side rubber channel mounted on left and right side that have aged and gone bad
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)