Cherokee rear floor space dimensions?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
patrickj20

Cherokee rear floor space dimensions?

Post by patrickj20 »

Hi guys, first time posting, I’m in the market for a Cherokee and before hand I’m trying to get a little information specially on the rear floor space.

I’m looking to use the back to occasionally sleep in, without the rear seats of course. If any would have the length and width (fender to fender is fine) dimensions that would be great!

Thanks fellas! :fsj:

1979bettywhite

Re: Cherokee rear floor space dimensions?

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I can take some measurements. I am roughly 6' - 6'1" and I fit fine back there. You can also build a small set of storage boxes etc. to fit in the rear passenger footwell that will give you a few more inches of space. Now about putting two people plus a dog in there to sleep. Well that depends on your comfort requirements....

Curly

Post by Curly »

I have a 77 Cherokee. I took the rear seat out and built a small platform to extend the floor to the back of the front seats. I'm also 6'1" and I fit fine if I put my head to the front. The tailgate angles in so it makes it tight for your head if you try to put it to the rear. I have the SereHill harness for the rear window with remote, so I can lower the window from inside the back section without contorting over the seats to reach the front switch. The Inner wheel wells do cut down on sleeping space for 2 people but it is doable.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

You can also build a platform that is above the wheel well to sleep on. Cuts down on headroom, but makes it wide enough to fit two more comfortably.
CAM01260s.jpg
I just realized I don't have a picture of the shelf installed on my storage system. You can see the support I made for the shelf on each side just above the above the wells. You could extend the supports to the front seats and make a sleeping deck there. I have thought about it myself. Then you would have a lot of storage space below the deck. Good luck. George.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
patrickj20

Post by patrickj20 »

Great responses guys I really appreciate the input! Being only 5’8 I’m curious to see how the lady and I fit.

Making a raised platform is also a very interesting idea that I may consider!

az chip

Post by az chip »

I am 5'8" and fit fine.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.