Air Deflector Install

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
The Wagg

Air Deflector Install

Post by The Wagg »

I finally found a rear air deflector that was a decent price so I jumped on it. Ive read the forums on here about installing it but I can't seem to figure out what people are doing with the headliner. Does anything need to be done to the headliner to install the thing because the installation guide I found says nothing about headliner? I cant figure out how to put up a picture so here a link to the image:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153845
1988 Grand Wagoneer with Dark Baltic Blue Metallic paint / Tan interior. Nicknamed by friends as "F**K!"

..__________
./___|__||__|\____,
|[::::][:::::::][::::]|
.\---(o)----------(o)-/

letank

Re: Air Deflector Install

Post by letank »

no need to remove headliner, the holes are above the roof frame. I reinstalled the air deflectoor a few days ago... I had to punch IN, some of the old dry up well nuts, they disappeared in the hollow of the body .... found well nuts at Lowes which are a bit thicker, so I had to use longer screws, 1 1/4"
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
The Wagg

Post by The Wagg »

letank wrote:no need to remove headliner, the holes are above the roof frame. I reinstalled the air deflectoor a few days ago... I had to punch IN, some of the old dry up well nuts, they disappeared in the hollow of the body .... found well nuts at Lowes which are a bit thicker, so I had to use longer screws, 1 1/4"
ok thanks, i need to drill my holes since my wag never had the air deflector installed. Would you happen to have any tips for drilling the holes?
1988 Grand Wagoneer with Dark Baltic Blue Metallic paint / Tan interior. Nicknamed by friends as "F**K!"

..__________
./___|__||__|\____,
|[::::][:::::::][::::]|
.\---(o)----------(o)-/

letank

Post by letank »

The Wagg wrote:
ok thanks, i need to drill my holes since my wag never had the air deflector installed. Would you happen to have any tips for drilling the holes?
Most of us hate making holes in pristine roofs... I have been plugging mines, but the deflector was a gift, and I have the holes.

measure twice, use the deflector as a template, the article gave a few hints, such as tape, I would use cardboard to prevent metal dyst from flying everywhere,

I start w smaller bits 1/8, and dig w next size up, you need good bits, for such large hole , you want to avoid the drill bit getting stuck...

someone else may give us some good tips
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Stepped bits make drilling into sheet metal cleaner and less scary. Harbor Freight has some for cheap and do a great job.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed