Apparent blown headgasket... do I have any options?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
memsiej

Apparent blown headgasket... do I have any options?

Post by memsiej »

Started a thread here about some shop woes http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=15197
Got it to a new shop finally and after a week they called and said the headgasket is blown, engine is shot. It never overheated or showed symptoms of a blown HG but hey- I've never had a vehicle blow an HG before so maybe they don't show symptoms first.

Anyway, do I have any options other than saying bye bye to the truck? What would I be looking at for an engine swap or repairing the HGs?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

dodgerammit

Re: Apparent blown headgasket... do I have any options?

Post by dodgerammit »

Has coolant mixed with the oil? Engine isn't overheating at all with a known good thermostat? No pressure buildup in radiator? Even headgasket failures can be minimal. I'd be wary of saying the engine is shot if it runs fine and showing no symptoms.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, why do they say it's bad?

And why can't it simply be replaced?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I don't know- waiting on more details (I"m in seattle, truck is in Montana with my sister). I checked fluids regularly and never saw coolant in the oil. Maybe thermostat is bad? Guess I don't know. But it sure never showed overheating.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I am skeptical... Have you talked to a mechanic at the shop that can explain why the engine is shot?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Realize that replacing the engine is a good job for a shop. They get to do a lot of comparatively easy work and offload most of the new-engine liability to the engine supplier. If you have a major failure, it can be a cost-effective repair, but replacing a head gasket is not that difficult ... if that's the only problem. To replace the head gasket, you remove the intake manifold and cylinder head, and reassemble with a new gasket. Not difficult, even for an amateur.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

BHG doesn’t mean the engine is shot. Especially if it never overheated.

How mechanically inclined are you? Like mentioned above a head gasket isn’t hard to do. But if the engine is already warn out with a lot of miles, then maybe consider a new jasper rebuild or something.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Second this:
fulsizjeep wrote:I am skeptical... Have you talked to a mechanic at the shop that can explain why the engine is shot?
and this:
Stuka wrote:BHG doesn’t mean the engine is shot. Especially if it never overheated.

How mechanically inclined are you? Like mentioned above a head gasket isn’t hard to do. But if the engine is already warn out with a lot of miles, then maybe consider a new jasper rebuild or something.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

My take is that shops like turnover. Tearing down an engine to do a head gasket when they can just swap out a motor is faster and more money doesn't do them much good. My buddy and I swapped an engine in a 01 Ranger in about 3 hours. The hardest part of the job was literally bolting on the crane hook to the block. That V6 popped in and out like greased butter. The last time I did a head gasket it took me a weekend!
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

As everyone has said a head gasket isn't the end of an engine. even if coolant got in and trashed the crank you can grind it or replace it. no big deal.

Of course the engine could be shot, or it might only need minimal repairs. but you're not going to know any of this until it's pulled and torn down. unless they have a good explanation I'd do it myself or find another shop because from what you've said I'm not impressed.

letank

Post by letank »

As said above, time to do your own diagnostics.... if you can bear the work.

Unfortunately if the coolant leak is major, you may not see mayo, it happens to my daughter's YJ, she managed to crack not only the head but the engine block as well... the oil level was way above the max of the dipstick.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

440sixpack wrote:As everyone has said a head gasket isn't the end of an engine. even if coolant got in and trashed the crank you can grind it or replace it. no big deal.

Of course the engine could be shot, or it might only need minimal repairs. but you're not going to know any of this until it's pulled and torn down. unless they have a good explanation I'd do it myself or find another shop because from what you've said I'm not impressed.
X2 on what 440sixpack said.

If you don't have the time or ability to inspect and rebuild it yourself, I understand. Otherwise, wait until you can get eyeballs on it and diagnose it yourself. But if you're paying someone else, at least find another shop.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Update... the guy at the shop needed it gone so my sister just had it towed to a field to let it chill for the winter until they can 'deal with it' in the spring.
Kinda bummed- I didn't even have a chance to talk to the mechanic and see what led him to diagnose HGs. He was already our second mechanic. Sad to think it's just sitting for months (which I worry will do even more harm). But oh well- it's hers now, and that's her choice to make.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Rather than leaving it sitting exposed, a cover would be a good idea.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

Remove battery, store in tempered place to prevent freezing and charge once a month... cover seats w some blankets, and put some cotton balls dunked in mint oil to keep rodents away... you can also cover the cowl vents to prevent dust and water from sitting in the air vents.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)