Changing Spark Plugs and Wires

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

Changing Spark Plugs and Wires

Post by richie_tenenbaum »

Any tips on removing and replacing the spark plugs?

I don’t know the best way to reach the rear plug on the drivers side and the rear 2 plugs on the passenger side

kansasboy001

Re: Changing Spark Plugs and Wires

Post by kansasboy001 »

Get yourself a 3/8 flex head ratchet and a few diffrent lengths of extentions. It can be done without it but itll help alot. The rear drivers one can be easily reached with a flex head ratchet. The 2 on the rear passengers side are best done from underneath.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

It takes some creativity and lots of patience. If you ha e a spark plugs socket with a built in universal joint it usually makes it easier. Add a selection of various short extensions too. I had the most luck laying on top of the motor with my head towards the windshield (since I'm a lefty) for the passenger side plugs. For the drivers I went up through the wheel well.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I took the right front wheel off and reached between the inner fender and frame for the passenger side.
Driver side just take time to reach. And if you put a short piece of hose on the end of the plugs
it make it easier to hold the plug and turn it to start it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dang. I had plenty of room. But then again, my other ride is a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Gotta unbolt coil pack bracket, move some A/C lines, sacrifice forearm flesh.....
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

derf

Post by derf »

I have a couple of spark plug sockets like this one:

https://www.craftsman.com/products/3-8- ... lug-socket

It has a hex head on it that lets you get a wrench on it. Slide the socket on the plug, put the wrench on the socket and it comes right out. No fuss.

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

Strong advice Derf

Topic author
richie_tenenbaum

Thanks for the help. I managed to knock them out today. Rear passenger is the only one that I had to get from below.

It was a productive day. Changed the transfer case fluid and the oil.

What are some other good projects for someone that is new to working on automobiles?

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Fuel filter.
Flush cooling system.

will e

Post by will e »

I would be cautious about 'flushing' the cooling system. Changing out the fluid is good but don't put any of that flush stuff in there or try to force water through the system. You might create some pin hole leaks!

Good for you getting the spark plugs changed out. It takes a bit of finesse and some patience.

Oil change is always a good idea. You can also check the fluid level in the transfercase.

Inspect the brakes to see how worn they are. Front brakes are a bit easier than rear. The front requires a special tool. The back brakes are drum. There is a special tool that helps with the springs, it's not a requirement but makes the job a lot easier.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

will e wrote:I would be cautious about 'flushing' the cooling system. Changing out the fluid is good but don't put any of that flush stuff in there or try to force water through the system. You might create some pin hole leaks!

Good for you getting the spark plugs changed out. It takes a bit of finesse and some patience.

Oil change is always a good idea. You can also check the fluid level in the transfercase.

Inspect the brakes to see how worn they are. Front brakes are a bit easier than rear. The front requires a special tool. The back brakes are drum. There is a special tool that helps with the springs, it's not a requirement but makes the job a lot easier.
What special tool needed for fronts?
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I think he meant a tool for the rear brake springs. Shouldn't need a special tool for the front brakes.

The tools are not absolutely necessary but they do help. Normal pliers or needlenose will do it

Something like this, or one of the pliers. I would get one from your local auto parts house. Some places even have loaner tools. Plus no waiting for shipping.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Spring-Too ... 1599916207

Or

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Spring-Pli ... 2909905192

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I'd second front brakes, but I also do wheel bearings when I do front brakes. May be above your comfort level. You also need a 1/2 ton front axle lock nut socket. Probably the tool mentioned by Will e. Needed if changing the rotors. This is why I go ahead and inspect/replace wheel bearings and seals at the same time. Already halfway there. You will need the torque specs to put it back correctly. After one or two times, you can do it by feel.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD