Loud grinding noise right after start, smokes a little from air cleaner area, then dies.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

will e

Re: Loud grinding noise right after start, smokes a little from air cleaner area, then dies.

Post by will e »

Excellent news! How about another video of it running? Is the noise coming from below?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

letank

Re: Loud grinding noise right after start, smokes a little from air cleaner area, then dies.

Post by letank »

memsiej wrote:WELL. I followed tooths' instructions
Cheers to Tooth, well thought
memsiej wrote:the grinding was/is a starter or flexplate issue.
There are some measurements on the TSM about the flexplate positionning

Downloaded from the 1982 (same trans as yours, the TF727) TSM at tom collins oljeep, check page 259 of part ONE, could not post pict, will try later

Last edited by letank on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Curly

Post by Curly »

I agree the grinding sounds like the starter, but could it be the flex plate/Torque converter covers? I am assuming you removed them and maybe didn't get one reinstalled correctly and it is hitting/rubbing on the flexplate? The flat plate is right behind the oil pan and it could be pushing it backwards if you didn't remove it or reinstalled it incorrectly.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Didn't get an updated video of it running and now I'm back in Seattle. Family emergency. Realy sounds like starter vs flex plate, and it backed out of the driveway onto the street just fine. I think they'll tow it to the shop just to be safe.
I didn't remove the flex plate/torque converter covers at any point but maybe I bumped or whacked something- I had to work hard to get that oil pan back on so who knows that was smacked.
But at this point, it's gonna be up to the mechanic!
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

maybe ripped out some teeth from previous starter fixes and its killing starters.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Likely, but this time it's not just grinding on start- the grinding continues after it's started and driving which makes me think it's sticking/not disengaging. Guess that could too be the result of a damaged flex plate.
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9